no translation for Google Scholar or New York Times

Zotero is only giving me a grey page, doesn't recognize the metadata on the page.

Zotero version 4.0.29.19
Firefox version 49.0.2
error code 1086698716

Thanks for any advice
  • Firefox 49 isn't supported or at least not tested on. You need to be using either the most recent regular version (53) or the latest stable release (45, though soon 52) of Firefox. (FWIW, using outdated Firefox versions is also unsafe)
  • Thanks, adamsmith.

My sysop gave me version 51.0.1
    Still not working, as expected given your comment. I need 53 or 45. Unfortunately neither is approved here.
  • Resetting translators might help.

Otherwise, this is really a time to complain to someone that sysadmins are not doing their job. They should be either providing long-term support versions (so 45 or 52) or the most recent versions, otherwise they're exposing your organisation to security holes which may result in much bigger issues than extensions not working.

Also note, that Zotero for Firefox will be discontinued very soon with release of Zotero 5.0 -- you will need to Zotero Standalone to continue working. Something to potentially talk to sysadmins about too.
  • (You can reset translators from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences.)
  • Alas, if Zotero is forcing users to standalone, I'm leaving.
  • edited May 26, 2017
    FWIW, Firefox is forcing that by imposing changes that make it impossible to continue providing Zotero entirely inside Firefox, but yes, the Firefox-only version of Zotero is going away.
  • edited May 26, 2017
    Firefox has been completely (internally) redesigned and many plugins will no longer work with the next FF update.

Also, it is important to note that it is possible to use Firefox with Zotero standalone -- even after the new Firefox changes. I find that the only difference between the FF plugin and z-standalone is that with standalone there is more flexibility with positioning windows and moving from the browser to the active Zotero screen. The Zotero 5 stacked orientation (optional) is by far the most user-friendly version of Zotero.
  • We'll have a blog post up explaining this change a bit more next week. As adamsmith says, we don't have a choice here — the entire extension architecture Zotero uses in Firefox is going away, replaced with a much more limited framework like the one in Chrome (which is what the new Zotero Connector for Firefox uses). But we've made numerous improvements to the connectors to add features that were previously available only in Firefox — we'll have a blog post on that too — and as DWL says Zotero Standalone is essentially identical aside from having more window flexibility.
  • edited May 26, 2017
    @dstillman and his team have managed to, in concert with the the developers of CSL, put together landmark software. I believe Zotero 5 to be similar in quality to the impact of VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3; of CP/M (pre DOS) programs such as the early WordStar + Reference Manager; programs that, while not completely new, were conceived and implemented in such ways that the work lives of professionals were much improved. Zotero 5, a thing of beauty in itself, forms the foundation for the perfect bibliographic management app.
  • also, in case that's relevant, Standalone does install on Windows (and Linux) without admin (Win) or su (linux) rights (I don't know anything about Mac).