Abbreviation of conference proceedings in IEEE style

As shown in Page2 of IEEE Citation Reference (http://www.ieee.org/documents/ieeecitationref.pdf), the name of the conference should be in abbreviated form. That is, Proceedings of the 1996 Robotics and Automation Conference becomes Proc. 1996 Robotics and Automation Conf. (from IEEE Citation Reference)
However, when I use Zotero, the abbreviation of conferences does not work. For example, in my paper,
[1]Y. Zhu, H. Wang, Z. Hu, G.-J. Ahn, H. Hu, and S. S. Yau, “Dynamic Audit Services for Integrity Verification of Outsourced Storages in Clouds,” in Proc. 2011 Acm Symp. Applied Computing, New York, NY, USA, 2011, pp. 1550–1557.
appears to be
[1]Y. Zhu, H. Wang, Z. Hu, G.-J. Ahn, H. Hu, and S. S. Yau, “Dynamic Audit Services for Integrity Verification of Outsourced Storages in Clouds,” in Proceedings of the 2011 Acm Symposium on Applied Computing, New York, NY, USA, 2011, pp. 1550–1557.
without any abbreviation even if I choose the 'Journal Abbr'. I have to correct them one by one. Is there any convenient way? And I hope this function will be added to Zotero. Thanks.

• Enter these in the Extra field like this:
    container-title-short: Proc. 1996 Robotics and Automation Conf.
  • edited May 24, 2017
    Thanks. But I have tried this, it still does not work. Any way else?
  • It is necessary to change the style too.
  • edited May 24, 2017
    I've changed the IEEE.csl to adapt this requirement.
    In Line 150, I added a field `form="short"` to it. It now looks like
    text variable="container-title" font-style="italic" form="short"`
    then I got the abbr version.
    I'm not sure whether it is right or not.

• edited May 24, 2017
    it is right, but I see on Page2 of IEEE Citation Reference (http://www.ieee.org/documents/ieeecitationref.pdf):
    Basic Format:
    [1] J. K. Author, “Title of paper,” in Unabbreviated Name of Conf., City of Conf., Abbrev. State (if given), year, pp. xxx-xxx.

For an electronic conference article when there are no page numbers:
    [1] J. K. Author [two authors: J. K. Author and A. N. Writer ] [three or more authors: J. K. Author et al.], “Title of Article,” in [Title of Conf. Record as it appears on the copyright page], [copyright year] © [IEEE or applicable copyright holder of the Conference Record]. doi: [DOI number]

For an unpublished papr presented at a conference:
    [1] J. K. Author, “Title of paper,” presented at the Unabbrev. Name of Conf., City of Conf., Abbrev. State, year.
  • Er...it is paradox. But the abbreviation form seems to be more common in IEEE journal references as I see it.
  • @adamsmith Thoughths on which form to use in the CSL style?
  • I have the same problem, but I wanted to add that despite the IEEE Citation Reference (https://www.ieee.org/documents/ieeecitationref.pdf), revised in 2009, mention on its page 2 that the basic format for conference technical articles is,

[1] J. K. Author, “Title of paper,” in Unabbreviated Name of Conf., City of Conf., Abbrev. State (if given), year, pp. xxx-xxx.

the IEEE Editorial Style Manual (https://www.ieee.org/documents/style_manual.pdf), from 07/22/2016, on its page 37, states that the basic format for articles published in conference proceedings and for papers presented at conferences are, respectively,

[1] J. K. Author, “Title of paper,” in Abbreviated Name of Conf., (location of conference is optional), year, pp. xxx-xxx.

[1] J. K. Author, “Title of paper,” presented at the abbrev. Name of Conf., City of Conf., Abbrev. State, year.

So, I think the correct citation style uses the abbreviated name of the conferences. The correct one would not be to have a "Conference Abbr" field for "Conference paper" just as there is the "Journal Abbr" field for "Journal Article"?
  • Regarding the style, do you have a published example of a citation to a conference paper that we can use to resolve the indeterminacy?

To store an abbreviated form, you can put it in Extra like this:
    container-title-short: Conf. Abbr. Name.

If the style calls for the short name, it will use this.
  • Here is my solution.
    1. Add a line in extra field as:
    "tex.confAbbr: Conf. Abbr. Exam."
    2.In the preference of better bibtex -> advanced -> postscript add:

if (Translator.BetterBibTeX && item.itemType ==='conferencePaper') {
    if (reference.has.confabbr){
    reference.add({ name: 'booktitle', value: reference.has.confabbr.value});
    reference.remove('confabbr');
    }
    }