BibTex "file" field

I've had a perfectly functioning system for connecting Zotero to Docear over the past few years, with the help of Zotfile and Better Bib(La)Tex plugins. However, I recently refreshed firefox and reinstated Zotero. This involved re-syncing to the Zotero server, updating the relative path to link to my local library, and setting up automatic exports. However, I now seem to have lost the "file" field in my exported .bib file.

The "file" field would allow my exported .bib file to point towards my locally stored PDFs, for easy access in Docear when looking at the bibliography.

Anyone know where the functionality is to ensure the local file for my library is known by the bibliography entries? I wish I could remember whether it is a functionality in Zotero, Zotfile, Better Bib(La)Tex or Docear to be honest!
  • Pretty sure this would be a better bibtex change. Zotero's default export to bibtex still includes the file. So I'd start asking there.
  • Went to better bibtex, but managed to find out that it required an update of the files using Zotfile. I had to apply 'rename attachments' via 'Manage attachments' for all my library entries. Better bibtex was then able see the files on my local device and apply the 'file' field accordingly.
  • @bp325

I have just discovered docear and am using to organize my thesis. I am working on setting up the syncing so I can work on multiple devices at once using box. This part seems to work fine however I am having trouble getting docear to recognize my better bibtex database export from zotero. It will recognize a regular export however. Do you have any advice on setting this up as you have used this workflow for years? Any other general tips for using these two programs in conjunction?
  • You would have to ask the Docear people why they're not recognizing the BBT output.