Couldn't edit existing citation

I have been using zotero for a long time, and this problem only happens today.

my zetero can insert new citation and bibliography
It can change the newly inserted citation and bibliography to different format

It cannot change the existing citation in word document created before. When trying to change Document Preferences, I can select different format, but after refresh, in text citation format remains the same. When I try to select an existing citation and click Add/Edit Citation, error message shows up:

"You have modify this citation since Zotero generated it. Editing will clear your modifications. Do you want to continue?"

If I click yes, then the normal zetero window pops up, except the existing citation is not highlighted in the window, as if I am starting from scratch.

I have tried to reinstall firefox plugin, word add-in but none of them worked.

My firefox is 45.9.0.
Windows 7 Enterprise
Microsoft Word 2013
  • If you don't see the existing citation in the window then it means that the underlying field code has been corrupt and Zotero is unable to extract the citation data, so it pops up a new window. The only solution there is to just insert it again.
  • The solution I figured out is that: the field code is corrupt only under classic Add Citation window, if I uncheck "Use classic Add Citation dialog", the selected citation will show up in the window, and after hitting enter, the citation in text will update.