Zotero Add In Word 2016 and Chrome

Hello,

I am having trouble integrating Zotero in my Word 2016 since I use the Zotero extension for Google Chrome. The articles on the Zotero website are helpful in implementing a World 2016 add in if you use Zotero with Firefox, but since I use Zotero with Google Chrome I do not know how to find the Google Chrome specific Zotero.dot file to put in the Word Startup folder.

(this article showed how to find the Zotero.dot file for Firefox, which worked for me, but it was not helpful since I don't use Firefox to find my articles https://www.zotero.org/support/windows_word_plugin_manual_installation_instructions#manually_installing_the_zotero_word_for_mac_2016_plugin)

Thank you in advance for your help!
  • Do you have Zotero Standalone installed? The Word add-on has nothing to do with your browser. The instructions you link to list equivalent steps for Standalone at every step.
  • Yes, I have it installed. The problem is that the path for the Zotero.dot file as per the instructions is taking it from Firefox, so when I go to the add in on Word and press insert citation it says "Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero or Firefox is open and try again". This is because I don't use Firefox, I use Chrome. That's the problem.

I can save files from Chrome to the Zotero standalone no problem. My problem is then putting the files from Zotero program into Word.
  • No, that error message is just outdated. It should say "Zotero". The Word add-on works for Standalone just the same way it works for the Firefox add-on.

The instructions do mention that finding the Zotero Standalone profile works exactly parallel to the Firefox instructions, but in any case, you can download Zotero.dotm from here:
    https://github.com/zotero/zotero-word-for-mac-integration/blob/master/install/Zotero.dotm
  • Thank you! I know have the tab that just says "Zotero" but I am still receiving the same error message. I tried restarting Word and Zotero and my computer but none of those worked. What do you recommend? Thank you!
  • what's the path to your Word Startup folder?
    And in Zotero Standalone under Tools --> Add-ons, does the Word add-on show as installed and active?
  • Path for Startup:
    Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content.localized

Yes, the Word add on "Zotero Word for Mac Integration" is enabled (3.5.14.SA.4.0.29.15, last updated 10/3/16).

• My guess would be some type of security settings in Word then, but not sure exactly where to look -- likely somewhere in the Macro settings (sorry, not really my department + I don't use Macs)
  • @ajayns could you run Zotero, then open the Terminal, type

{ ls ~/.zoteroIntegrationPipe ; ls /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe* ; ls ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/.zoteroIntegrationPipe ; } | cat

and paste the output here? You can star out (***) your username in the output if that is sensitive.
  • ls: /Users/****/.zoteroIntegrationPipe: No such file or directory
    /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe_****
    ls: /Users/****/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/.zoteroIntegrationPipe: No such file or directory
    dhcp-v113-074:~ ****

• Could you submit a Report ID from Zotero Standalone?
  • Done. Report ID: 1184333771
  • So Zotero is failing to create a communication pipe in
    /Users/****/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/

Either because the directory has restrictive permissions or Zotero is running in some sort of sandboxed mode. You can submit a Debug ID for a restart. You should check "Enable after restart" for debug logging and submit a Debug ID after restarting such that Zotero captures the trace of failing to initialise the communication pipe.
  • Done. Debug ID: D1487473949

Thank you!
  • Sorry it took a while to respond. The debug log doesn't show Zotero creating a communication pipe in the required location. You should make sure your user has write access in /Users/****/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/.
    If that doesn't help and this is an unusual recommendation, but reinstalling Standalone might help.

Alternatively, you could consider switching to the upcoming Zotero 5.0 Beta, which we'll release very soon and which has improved logging for such issues and a fresh UI for the citation interface in Word.
  • Reinstalling Standalone worked. Thank you so much!
  • Hmmm, however, citations are able to be implemented, but I cannot create a bibliography.

The error states "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. (intermediate value)[command] is not a function"

• Could you submit another Report ID?