Access "Extra" Field

Hello,

I recently imported my bibliography from JabRef, where I also had (personal) entries in the "comment" field. Now I would like to see these comments also directly in the Zotero table and not just by clicking on the entry. By default, the comment entry is imported to a note attached to an entry.
I can edit the JabRef-.bib-file to import the comments to other tags, for example I could switch "title" and "comment" to get the comment as the title of the paper (makes no sense of course).
Now I would like to get the comments to the "Extra" field. In which entry name the comment has to be to be imported to "Extra"? Is there another option how to get it to this field?

Many thanks in advance,
Clemens
  • Just to make sure I understand the question: you're asking which field from a .bib file gets imported into Extra in Zotero?
  • Yes exactly.
  • There's currently no direct mapping to the extra field, I'm afraid. You'd have to modify the bibtex import translator and given the special nature of notes that's going to be more involved than just switching out a label.
    (The translator is a file called BibTeX.js in the translators folder in the Zotero data folder: https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data )

You're aware that you can expand all items in Zotero using the + sign, which would then also let you see the beginning of every note in the middle panel?
  • Thank you for your answer. I know that I can expand it, but then I can also see the pdfs and the table gets unnecessarily long, I would strongly prefer to have the comment with the entry in one coloum. What I don't care about is in which field the comment is - it does not have to be "Extra".

I found the file to edit and I think it should be possible? Do I have to edit
    var fieldMap = {
    or
    var bibtex2zoteroTypeMap = {

and should it then be
    "comment":"Extra"
    or
    "Extra":"comment"
    ?

Do capital letters matter?
  • it's fieldMap, capitals matter, and it needs to be lowercase extra and the bibtex field listed first, i.e.

"comment": "extra",

is what you want.
  • Thanks, in principle it works,
    comment:"title"
    imports my comments to the Title.

But "extra" seems not to work :(
    Any idea how to access extra or any other unimportant field?
  • rights should work and can also be displayed in the middle panel.
    (The Extra field is likely getting overridden by some other code in the translator).
  • Worked :)
    Many thanks!