Items saved to Zotero for Firefox even when Standalone 5.0 beta is open

I have both Zotero for Firefox (ZFF) 4.0.29 and Zotero Standalone (ZS) beta 193 installed. When browsing in Firefox, if I click on the translator icon, it saves the item to ZFF. This happens even when ZFF is actually not open but ZS is open. Is this expected behavior? Am I missing some component? The new item shows up in ZS a few seconds later and I assume this is because ZFF and ZS are syncing via the server.
  • I think I fixed one thing and broke another thing.

I installed the "Firefox browser extension" from https://www.zotero.org/download/ and that removed the icon used to open Zotero in Firefox. I then installed the "Zotero connector for Firefox" from https://www.zotero.org/support/5.0, and this gives me an icon in my Firefox browser to directly save items in the ZS database.

But now, how do I open my ZFF since the icon has disappeared from Firefox?
  • When browsing in Firefox, if I click on the translator icon, it saves the item to ZFF. This happens even when ZFF is actually not open but ZS is open.
    Sounds like you had Zotero for Firefox and Zotero Standalone pointing at different Zotero data directories. (This is not the default configuration.)

But:
    how do I open my ZFF since the icon has disappeared from Firefox?
    Zotero for Firefox doesn't exist anymore starting with 5.0. If you're using 5.0, you should be using the new Zotero Connector for Firefox.

If your Zotero for Firefox data directory was fully in sync, you can just delete it. If you need it back for some reason, you'd have to temporarily reinstall Zotero 4.0 for Firefox, make sure it's synced or whatever you need to do, and then switch back to the new connector. But again, this isn't the default configuration — in normal usage of Zotero 4.0 you would've had one data directory, and you would just upgrade to Zotero 5.0 and the Zotero Connector for Firefox.
  • Thanks, Dan I purposefully had different directories for ZFF and ZS so I can keep ZFF as my workhorse while I play around with the ZS betas.

Are you saying that there is no way to have both ZFF *and* Zotero Connector for Firefox, even when they are pointing to different databases? So, when I installed the connector, it automatically uninstalled my ZFF?

How do I go back to my previous setup, where I had ZFF and ZS 5.0 Beta (but without the connector)?
  • Are you saying that there is no way to have both ZFF *and* Zotero Connector for Firefox, even when they are pointing to different databases? So, when I installed the connector, it automatically uninstalled my ZFF?
    Correct. Zotero for Firefox won't work in upcoming Firefox versions due to changes Mozilla is making, so the Zotero Connector for Firefox is a direct upgrade.
    How do I go back to my previous setup, where I had ZFF and ZS 5.0 Beta (but without the connector)?
    You shouldn't, really. We're now serving the new Zotero Connector for Firefox from the download page, so it's now the recommended version for Firefox users who are already using Standalone. Among other things, Zotero for Firefox prevents Firefox from switching into its new multi-process mode, which improves performance and stability.

(You can run Zotero Standalone 4.0 with a separate profile if you really want to, but that's rather complicated, and 5.0 can be considered pretty close to Final at this point, so unless you're experiencing major problems (which we'd want to fix ASAP) I'd recommend just using that.)
  • Thanks, appreciate the clarification.

At work, I still have the ZFF folder inside my Firefox profile. Should I just delete it since I am using ZS 5.0 Beta (which is pointing to C:\Users\username\Zotero)? Or, is there a recommended uninstall process?

ZS 5.0 Beta feel smooth and polished and I feel confident using it as the only option in my work computer. At home, I am still on ZFF 4.0.29, and may be it's time to update that, too. I guess the only thing I am going to miss in 5.0 is the prevent duplicates add-on for ZFF.
  • At work, I still have the ZFF folder inside my Firefox profile. Should I just delete it since I am using ZS 5.0 Beta
    Yes, if you're sure you have all your data in the 5.0 data directory, you can delete that other directory (or back it up for a while and then delete it).