zotero error message

Hi Everyone:
I am working with someone who is publishing a paper and working with some colleagues in a Zotero Group. Each person has contributed citations to the group and they are cooperatively editing their Word document.

One of them has gotten this error several times:

"You have modified this citation since Zotero generated it. Do you want to keep your modifications and prevent future updates?
Clicking "Yes" will prevent Zotero from updating this citation if you add additional citations, switch styles, or modify the tiem to which it refers. Clicking "No" will erase your changes."

What does this mean? is this something that might commonly come up with people working in a Zotero Group?
thank you!
  • It's unrelated to the group. The message typically comes up when someone has manually edited a citation in Word (assuming that's what they're writing in).
    Unfortunately, I do believe this can be incorrectly triggered by Track changes in some instances (though it shouldn't be and I'm not 100% sure that's the case).

In any case, if they have not, in fact, manually edited citation or did not intend to, "No" is the right answer here.
  • Hi Adam!
    yes they are working in Word and they are using tracking---but I do not know specifically what they did to trigger the message-- if they had edited citations in Word rather than their Zotero library--but I imagine that might be the case!