[beta 5.0] Zotero does not start if the Firefox is running

If the Firefox is running before I start Zotero 5.0 then Zotero freeze during the starting process (I see green line). I think it is due to an uninstalled old (4.0.29.18) Zotero for Firefox plugin. After the close of Firefox, the Zotero continue in the starting process and after that, it works. It should be treated before the Zotero 5.0 will be release. The Debug ID is D1772121670.
  • If I try this, I get this message after starting 5.0 (which is what's supposed to happen):
    Your Zotero database is currently in use. Only one instance of Zotero using the same database may be opened simultaneously at this time.
    If you restart your computer and then try this again, do you still get this freeze?
  • edited May 6, 2017
    Yes, this situation I see last two months. Maybe I do not see any message due to old and slow computer. My laptop died two months ago I started to use 7 years old computer at home. I do not use Firefox as my default explorer so it was not a big problem for me.
  • This doesn't really matter, because Zotero for Firefox users will be upgraded to the new Zotero Connector, which doesn't access the database,, but if you can provide a Debug ID for Firefox startup using the "Enable after restart" option through the attempt to open Zotero 5.0, that might be helpful.
  • This debug ID is in the first post.
  • That's from Standalone. I'm asking for one from Zotero for Firefox.
  • Aha, I do not use Zotero for Firefox from migration to 5.0 beta. I was thinking that it will not works due to change in Zotero database.
  • But aren't you saying that the issue here is that you still have Zotero 4.0 for Firefox installed in Firefox, and so when that's open Zotero 5.0 is hanging? (You said "uninstalled old (4.0.29.18) Zotero for Firefox plugin" above, but it certainly can't interfere with Zotero 5.0 if it's not installed, so I assume that's not what you meant.)
  • Oh, or do you perhaps still have Zotero for Firefox installed but with an error, because it can't read the 5.0 database? It's definitely possible that could interfere with 5.0, so we might need to fix that.
  • edited May 6, 2017
    OK, yes, that's what's happening. You have a 5.0 database, but Zotero 4.0 for Firefox is still installed, but due to the DB incompatibility it's just holding on to the DB connection in a broken state and preventing Zotero 5.0 from opening.

We'll see what we can do about this. You can either uninstall Zotero for Firefox or install the new Zotero Connector for Firefox over it if you want to be able to save to Zotero from Firefox.
  • I use Zotero 5.0 a lot of months. But if I open Firefox before Zotero then the Zotero 5.0 freeze. I still did not know why, till yesterday I've checked plugin installed in FF and found Zotero for FF.
  • See above.
  • Yes, that's clear. I've opened this thread because I think that other users can be in a simillar situation and the message about existing old Zotero plugin in FF or about usage of Zotero database by another process can help him. In short period after release Z5.0 it could be very often situation.
  • Right, thanks — as I said, we'll see what we can do about this.
  • Fixed in 4.0.29.19 — thanks.