[5.0 Beta] Sync problem

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero 5.0 Beta.
  • Hi,
    I have synced my 60 GB library on Zotero 5 beta standalone. Then I clicked sync button and the sync button stopped to turning after 1-2 hours. Sometimes Zotero froze. It sais 276268 lines logged. I clicked many times to submit to Zotero Server but I cannot get any Debug ID. I see a just green bar like processing.
    Could you check it?
    Thank you.
  • Sorry, I'm not quite following. What's the problem?
  • The problem is sync issue takes too much time (1-2 hours) although there is nothing to sync. And sometimes it froze while it is syncing.
  • edited May 3, 2017
    I am going to turn back to Zotero 4. Because it still tries to update. Although there is nothing to update (ı downloaded all files before). And I cannot use Submit Zotero server.
  • I have just set up Zotero 4. But now it is not synced. What happens for the sync? Is there any problem with Zotero server?
    I really need urgent help for this issue.
    Thank you.
  • Zotero 5.0 is very close to being released, so if you want this fixed, we'll need to debug the problem with 5.0. The first step would be a Report ID from 5.0 after reproducing the problem. If you can't submit a Debug ID for some reason, you can save debug output for syncing that takes longer than expected in 5.0 to a text file, zip it, and email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • Hi,
    Thank you very much.
    The problem is that although it says 276268 lines logged but when I clicked to debug output I see nothing. So what should I do now?
    Thank you.
  • Let's start with a Report ID.
  • Hi,
    I set up Zotero 5 again and finished all the synchronization. Then when I clicked, the turning green circle does not stop and turns an hour non-stop. Report ID is 1630532124.
    Thank you.
  • Hi,
    Also I can get Debug UD at this time. The Debug ID is D886310952.
  • edited May 4, 2017
    OK, some file sync checks are definitely taking way longer than they should for you, though I don't believe the behavior in question has changed from 4.0.

What kind of computer is this? Does it have a hard disk drive or an SSD? If you're running any security software, you might try temporarily disabling it and trying the sync again, because accessing individual files is in some cases taking multiple seconds for you, which obviously shouldn't happen.

If necessary, you can also temporarily disable file syncing from the Sync pane of the preferences.
  • Hi,
    I have SSD and I have enough space. I use it on C driver and all the storage files in also on C drive.
    I turned off Antivirus software (Avira). Then I restarted Zotero 5 again. I activated Debug output logging. Again it takes too much time to sync although there is nothing to sync. The Debug ID is D1805294691.
    What is wrong I don't understand.
    Thank you.
  • There's some weird behavior involving your filesystem here, but try the latest build, 189, and see if that speeds things up.
  • Hi,
    Thank yu very much.
    Where can download the build 189. I downloaded my version from Zotero 5 Beta homepage. Is there a new version?
  • Just select "Check for Updates" from the menus — I think the Help menu on Windows.
  • edited May 4, 2017
    Ok. I updated it.
    Now there is no problem. Sync process takes just 30 seconds.
    And what is the weird behavior involving my filesystem?
    Should I uninstall Zotero and delete all the files on my computer then reinstall it?
    Thank you
  • edited May 4, 2017
    OK, great. No, no further action required on your part. Thanks for helping us debug this.
    And what is the weird behavior involving my filesystem?
    When checking/setting file modification times, some filesystems have 1-second resolution and some filesystems have millisecond resolution. Oddly, your filesystem seems to have 1-second resolution but return each timestamp as being offset from the second by 20 milliseconds — i.e., timestamps on your system end in "020" instead of "000". We've never seen that before, and it was throwing off Zotero's logic that handles this, causing it to perform unnecessary checks on many files. I've relaxed the logic a bit to account for this possibility.
  • I do some changes and sync it. But now I cannot see my library on the middle pannel:( ID is D1839842403.
  • If you restart Zotero, is that fixed?
  • Yes it is fixed. I just share with you because of there can be something wrong that you would like to see it.
  • Yeah, thanks — there's an issue we're still tracking that causes that to happen, but it's fixed by a restart. If you figure out steps to reproduce it reliably, let us know.
  • Additionally, I cannot use my publication feature. I drag and drop my publication and accept to share much time but I cannot see it on My publications are. The Debug ID is D154246378.
  • Can you temporarily disable auto-sync and then generate another Debug ID for that? It's hard to see what's happening with the sync that kicks in.
  • Yes,
    Please find here: D632297982.
  • That appears to be successfully adding your items to My Publications, and they now show on your profile page. Are you saying you don't see them when you click on My Publications in the client? What do you see?
  • There are many publications on my profile page that I added before. Now I add one more. But I cannot see it on my standalone "My Publication" under My library. Should I see then also under this folder? And also How can edit my application on my profile page?
  • I still don't really understand. When you drag to My Publications in the client, you should get a dialog that asks you some questions. Once you go through the steps, the items should then show up when you click on My Publications. When you sync, those items should then appear on your profile.

The items currently on your profile page were added to My Publications from an earlier beta version, and we've since made a change to how My Publications works. If you simply upgraded from an earlier beta version directly to the current version, items in the previous, separate My Publications library would've been moved to the new My Publications collection, and you would see them there. If you installed the latest version from scratch with an empty database and downloaded your data, My Publications would appear empty locally until you add items again, and once you sync your profile page should show the newly added items (and only those, not the older items, until you re-add them). This only affects people who used My Publications in the earlier betas.
  • Hi,
    The problem is when I add publication on my desktop standalone, I cannot see it on my desktop standalone.
  • What do you see? As I say, from the debug output you provided, the items are definitely being added to My Publications in the database.
  • I cannot see any publication on "My Publication" area on my desktop.
    I just see the notification including page:
    "My publication allows you to create to list of your own work and share it on your profile page on zotero.org....."