footnote cross-referencing in the same section of long document

I'm creating a long word document with 9 separate chapters. I've separated each chapter using a section break in ms word. I've set my footnotes to start at 1 for each chapter. However, I also want footnotes within each chapter to cross refer to the first time the citation is mentioned in that chapter rather than the first time it's mentioned in the entire document. For example if I cite something in chapter one and then cite it again twice in chapter 5, I want the second citation in chapter five to refer to the first time it's cited in chapter five, not the initial citation in chapter one. Can zotero do this? Or it is an MS word problem? At the moment, even though my footnotes are starting at 1 for each chapter, cross-references are to the first time the reference is cited in the whole document and the footnote number displayed is the number it would be had the referencing been continuous throughout the document, so the footnote number in the cross-reference doesn't even match the footnote of the original citation sometimes.
Any help very gratefully received.
  • Zotero can't do this. Only way is to author the document in separate chapters (any reason you aren't doing that?)
  • Thanks. I've written it in separate chapters and now putting it all together. I understand that one can remove field codes and that can sort the numbering out but I need to put it all in one doc now and then edit it/update it for a while so can't really do without the field codes, for amending bibliography and in case I change the referencing. I'll just stick to continuous numbering even though it leaves me with c 1800 footnotes!
    I think I'm going to have separate questions about bibliography etc. Best to reply to this or start another discussion?
  • Please stay in the same thread.
  • Thanks. I'm adding references to a very long document now. It's taking ages for each to load (15+ minutes). There's a bibliography in the doc as well. Would it be quicker if I removed the bibliography while I'm adding new references and added it right at the end again, do you think?
  • yes, definitely would be quicker, though can't promise by how much. Editing references in large docs is painfully slow (which is the other reason we tend to recommend staying in chapters)
  • Thanks Adam - that's helpful. Also, with the bibliography, Is there a best way to format it? I want to make the margins on either side of the page wider but I'm worried that if I do that it will get corrupted or something. Or will just revert to the original format if I update it.
    And it's currently showing some references which I want to exclude. I tried removing them all in one go using the edit bibliography tool. But when it updated it, it put them all back, changed the font and at a later date said it was corrupted, so I removed it and created it again but then it had all the references I'd taken out in it again...! Is there a better way to manage this?