Zotero error was: Zotero does not recognize email and password. I could not access Forums either, nor email to recover password. It ask: if I was sure this email had an account. In my search for help, register my account came up; I re-registered; now in but can not retrive library. It is in my Data file on my computer shows from Data under preferences. Lost first post & number sorry if wasted your time Thank you so much for your help.
  • Where/how exactly does your data show locally on your computer? If it's actually there locally, you can restore from that and then sync:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#restoring_your_zotero_library_from_a_backup1
  • zotero screen goto -tools, under preferences, top tabs- goto- files and folders, goto show data directory shows 4 sqlite files.
  • my Library has been on zotero several years. I was using March 20, 2017. Tried to up load for last month. Need to do my reading log. I did what I was told, have 4 SQLite files???/
  • see the above instructions, restore from the largest ones of the sqlite files. Make sure to work with copies, just in case.
  • I can't really say -- if you don't have your library here when you click on "My Library" and you've seen it previously online you logged in with a different username/e-mail.
  • the user name and password are the same. My system crashed, had to have cleaned debugged and operating system reloaded. Went to zotero loaded started with the zotero does not recognize the user name and password. While reading the how to's one of them suggested that I reload my user name and password. Did let me back in but did not find my library. I will try to follow your instructions when I return have a meeting I have rescheduled 3 times. Thank you so much for your response.
  • edited May 1, 2017
    If you're logged in from a new account — which you are — you of course won't see your data online. Additionally, if it let you register with a given email address, you didn't use that email address previously. You can try resetting the password for other email addresses of yours, but it's possible you didn't have a Zotero account previously, in which case restoring from a local backup would be the only option.
  • Not meaning to contradict you, or any intent to disagree. Information Facts: My zotero account, was existing with my log in information and password, fixed for several years. Even after a long absence it came up without me reentering my email address or password. Email address which showed. The way I read the statement was to reenter existing email & password to refresh my existing account; Not as a new account. I entered, it allowed, accepted, and it refreshed. The old password (one I would never forget) that never changed unless zotero ask that I change it. I would not question, but facts I am positive are correct. I previously did try the only other password I would have change it to. There are two others I tried both. Facts I know to be true. Zotero opened right back up, Identical information to the original account. My last entries were between 3/14 & 3/22/17. Again thank you so much I am going to try data retrieve. Right now Ali
  • The account you're posting from was created today.
  • If it is it was created with the exact same email address and password on the old account. What I was saying. Says my file is still open in Zotero. So I am praying. I have (2) bak. & bak.bak files one live one that sqlite.journal file that logs on and off with my open and closing of zotero. Is there a way to make sure I have the SQLite. file I am to move to desk top, saved so if I screw up transferring don't lose it. Long day lots of reading, instructions; I am little spooked. Again thank you for your patience.
  • If it is it was created with the exact same email address and password on the old account.
    I'm afraid that's just not possible — you can't create an account with the same email address. It's literally impossible to insert a duplicate email address into the database.

In any case, the Zotero Data page linked above has pretty much all the information we can provide on backing up and restoring your data directory.
  • The offer when I sign in is to go to my library which takes me to the server library. Group, logged in does not take me to standalone. When I type /preferences to zotero.org it gives me a error page. I am sure it is something dumb I am not doing. when I open FireFox there is not Z though I have downloaded both it appears to download said extension downloaded.