Style Error: Imperial College London - Harvard

Hello,

I've just noticed that when inserting a bibliography in Word, if the reference is a journal article which has a volume number but not an issue number, this is displayed incorrectly, i.e. the volume number and first page number are run together, with no brackets or space to differentiate the volume number from the page number.

E.g.

DiCaccavo, A. (2006) Working with parentification: implications for clients and counselling psychologists. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice. 79469–478.

Which should look like this:

DiCaccavo, A. (2006) Working with parentification: implications for clients and counselling psychologists. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice. (79) 469–478.

NB: This error does not happen if there is both a volume number and an issue number, in which case they display correctly.

• edited April 27, 2017
    This is how it comes out for me. Just tested it:
    DiCaccavo, A. (2006) Working with parentification: Implications for clients and counselling psychologists. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice. [Online] 79 (3), 469–478. Available from: doi:10.1348/147608305X57978.

This is the example from their guidelines:
    Chhibber, P. K. & Majumdar, S. K. (1999) Foreign ownership and profitability: Property rights, control, and the performance of firms in Indian industry. Journal of Law & Economics. 42 (1), 209-238.

Please note, the 79 is the volume, the (3) is the issue and 469-478 is the pages.

Can you double check the citation in your Zotero? this citation should actually have an Issue number as you can see. I am not sure why your volume number is in brackets.
  • Hi,

I realised after I posted that I'd made a mistake, as you noted, in that the issue number is bracketed while the volume number is not. My problem is that when there is no issue number for a reference, only a volume number, the volume number is being placed before the page number but with no space or comma, so it just looks like a very long, incorrect, page number. I haven't been able to add the space myself manually, as the space is trimmed from the beginning or end of the entry in the volume or page number boxes in Zotero.

• We've checked the style yesterday and made some changes.
    Check the new style on the repository.
    Also, again, can you double check everything in Zotero is correct. The example reference you have yesterday should actually include an issue number.
  • Thank you very much, the issue seems to be resolved now. Also, you're right, I had missed the issue number on the reference I'd chosen by chance, thanks.
  • I've noticed another small issue with this citation style in Zotero - when I use the Word add-on and click on the reference I've chosen to add a page number, this is displayed in the following format: (Dimaggio, Semerari, Carcione, et al., 2007, p.1), rather than the format we have been told to follow, which would have a colon and no space, rather than a comma and a space before the page number: (Dimaggio, Semerari, Carcione, et al., 2007:p.1).
  • Also, I've noticed that when a reference has four or more authors, as with the previous example, the Word Zotero add-on displays the first three authors and then 'et al.', rather than displaying only the the first author followed by 'et al.' as our reference guide recommends.
  • this is fixed now; thanks to LiborA