Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

Hello, I am using 5.0-beta.183+7661f71
For the moment zotero refuses to update, refresh and insert citations in any of my documents no matter what I do (copy and paste in a new document, start a new document, restart zotero). I checked the status of updates. It is up to date.
Is there a new version or a solution that can help my problem?
Thank you!
  • This is usually the result of a corrupted citation or bibliography.

First, try to delete the bibliography. Does that work?

If not, try to find the broken citation. Do you have any citations that are stored in the document, but not in your library (e.g., in a document from a collaborator or where you deleted the item from your library)? I think the current beta may be having some problems with that. Delete that reference and re-insert if possible.

If you aren't sure, try to find the broken citation by copying paragraphs/sections to a new document one at a time until you find where the broken citation is located, then replace it.
  • Are you sure it doesn't work at all in a completely fresh document? If not, please provide a Debug ID for an insertion operation in a fresh document.
  • The Debug ID is D853521929.
  • There does not seem to be any communications from LibreOffice, to Zotero in this debug output. What happens exactly when you press one of the Zotero buttons in libreoffice? If it helps to explain take a screenshot, upload it somewhere and post a link here.
  • Thank you for your response @adomasven. When I try to insert a citation it opens a window with the following message:

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
    Error(s) encountered during statement execution: no such column: NaN [QUERY: SELECT itemID, creatorID, creatorTypeID, orderIndex FROM items LEFT JOIN itemCreators USING (itemID) WHERE libraryID=? AND itemID IN (NaN) ORDER BY itemID, orderIndex] [PARAMS: NaN] [ERROR: no such column: NaN]"
  • Can you try the Debug ID again, being sure that you start it immediately before trying to insert a citation? (The output you provided is from Zotero startup and doesn't seem to cover that operation.)
  • Hello, here is the Debug ID: D1933276404.
  • Could you follow #8 of these instructions and send in the problematic citation?

Otherwise, what is the error you get if you try to insert citations in a completely fresh document? Could you produce a Debug ID for inserting a citation in a completely new document if you are getting errors?
  • Hello, I found the problem! It was the repeated citation of one reference which I used throughout the document. Zotero stopped working after the reference was cited for the 5th time (and I had many more). So, I just deleted all the repeated cases and inserted them through regular footnotes. However, I still do not understand why this problem occured (I did not change anything in my library...).
    Thank you all very much for your help!!! A problem with references and citations is a major stress when one writes a dissertation.
  • The bugfix for this is out in beta.185.
  • @adomasven do you have a link to the bugfix, I can't find it?
    Thank you!
  • @hayarpi.papikyan Only check for updates in Zotero, I've updated to b.185 few seconds ago.
  • Hi, I have been encountering the following errors, not sure what is the issue and perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
    The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1708.) @[setTextRaw:field.m:414]

I am using Word 2016 on Macbook Pro.

Thanks