Can't insert bibliography in Word: "You are attempting to open a file type (RTF files)"

I am using the standalone version of Zotero on Windows 10 64 bit and have got it working with LibreOffice and I can insert citations in Word but when I try to insert a bibliography I get the message "You are attempting to open a file type (RTF files)" and a help message about changing the settings in Word's trust centre. I've done that and can confirm that I can now open RTF files in Word though it does its usual thing if asking me to hit an "edit" button before allowing me edit access. I don't know if that's pertinent.

I've done some searching on zotero.org and more widely but can't find this. I've reinstalled the Word plugin from Zotero's preferences and that keeps saying the installation worked fine.

Word is Word Office Professional Plus 2013. Zotero is 4.0.29.17 and tells me it's the latest version.

Anyone seen this and cracked it? TIA, Chris
  • I think, RTF is not correct format. Use native MS Word docx format.
  • No, Zotero uses RTF to insert formatted text into Word documents, so the format is correct here, but the error message shouldn't appear anymore. The last time we saw this was three years ago: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/35766/blocked-by-file-block-settings-inserting-footnotes-or-bibliography
    see if anything there helps.
  • Thanks both. I've been through that page but the links to the M$ pages are dead (I suspect they're referring to things that M$ has since changed). I also don't think anything there can
  • Hm, turned away and something decided that I'd finished! OK trying again ...
    Thanks both. I've been through that page but the links to the M$ pages are dead (I suspect they're referring to things that M$ has since changed). I also don't think anything there can help as that seems to turn on Word really refusing RTF files whereas I can confirm that my Word will open RTF files, at least, ones in general directories. It does open them in Word's irritating "Protected mode" until I've saved them with Word, in which case opening them again takes them straight into editing mode.

Does that help narrow or eliminate things? If it works for you but you find that opening RTF files takes you direct to editing mode then it may be that I'm unusual in going to protected mode and that might explain why I have this problem yet others don't seem to. Can you tell me? Meanwhile I'll see if I can find anything on turning off Word's protected mode. Thanks again. Chris
  • OK. Found https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-disable-protected-view-in-microsoft-word/ and followed that and I can confirm that I've now gotten rid of protected mode ... and, sadly, that hasn't changed the problem with inserting a bibliography. Can this be something to do with permissions on a temp directory that Zotero is using? Sorry, I guess I'm just fishing around. I try to write more in LibreOffice so I guess I'm not crippled by this at least for now.