Trouble with toggle tab and Zotero library

I'm in need of help...everytime I open up Zotero by clicking on the Zotero icon my extensive library shows up as a blank.

Further, it refuses to go into full screen toggle tab mode.

What could be the problem and how can I fix it?
  • The report id is: 1429616023
  • does blank mean it looks like an empty library -- just a single item, the "Welcome to Zotero" one -- or something else?
  • Yes! it looks like an empty library. COMPLETELY empty! not even a "welcome to Zotero"!
  • You're running Firefox 54, which is a beta version. If you want to run the Firefox beta, you should switch to Zotero 5.0 Beta and the new Zotero Connector for Firefox.
  • Thank you for that. So how do I switch away from Firefox 54? and how advisable it is to switchto Zotero 5.0 Beta?
  • The Firefox beta would've been something you installed. You'd have to reinstall the release version, currently 53, from the Mozilla site.

The 5.0 Beta will be released very soon, so it should be pretty safe to use — but if you're not running beta software on purpose, the release version is always a better idea.
  • Nope, I am sure I did not instal the Firefox beta version! (but then with my level of skills who knows!)

You refer to "the release version" being better - which release version? The Zotero 5.0 Beta? I would need to save my existing library yes?

many thanks

J
  • I am sure I did not instal the Firefox beta version
    You may have done it by mistake, but you (or someone) definitely did install it. The current version of Firefox is 53, and the beta version isn't distributed to people on the normal release track.
    You refer to "the release version" being better - which release version?
    The "release version" meaning the current stable version — the version you get when you just go to download the software from the main page. That's currently Firefox 53 (which you should install) and Zotero 4.0.29.18 (which you have).
  • So I've uninstalled Firefox Beta and installed Firefox53. Do I now download 4.0.29.18, or is there something else I have to do?