Importing citations

Hi
I have Zotero standalone installed on Chrome with the zotfile plugin. I am working on a mac. I have several problems and wondering how I can best get help.
1. Citation information is not being imported with PDF either from google scholar or electronic databases like Proquest.
2. How do i cite items in my library once I am in word? (I am working in Windows 365, word for mac version 15.31
Does anyone know where I can get individual help with this as I think there will be a few teething problems yet and I am starting a PhD so need to get this up and running.
Thanks
Elroy
  • 1. Citation information is not being imported with PDF either from google scholar or electronic databases like Proquest.
    This is largely dependent on the information source and whether it provides PDF access. If you can access the PDF information manually, but Zotero won't capture it, we will need to see individual URLs exactly as you see them in your browser to be able to help further.
    2. How do i cite items in my library once I am in word? (I am working in Windows 365, word for mac version 15.31
    You need to install the Word plugin in Zotero Standalone preferences -> Cite -> Word Processor Integration.

After restarting Word Zotero plugin interface should show up in the Add-ins tab in Word Ribbon.
  • Thanks for your reply. I have question 2 working. I am still stuck with the citation information being imported. On the version I am running on a PC desktop, there is a column called 'notes' and other columns where I could manually import citation information in PDFs I have downloaded. In the version on my mac - that I am now on, those columns aren't there. How do I reveal the columns that I can insert citation info into?
  • I am not sure what the problem is that you are describing. Is the item pane on the right missing? Restarting Zotero will restore it, or you can try dragging the little bubble on the right side of Zotero towards the left of the window. If not, take a screenshot and post it somewhere online (dropbox, imgur, etc.) and post a link here and we'll take a look.
  • Maybe you have just imported PDFs without metadata? For those, the right-hand column looks differently. Right-click retrieve metadata and, if that doesn't work, right-click --> Create parent item.
  • Is it as simple as clicking the Zotero 'import' icon in an electronic data base and then right clicking to retrieve metadata? Or do I need to cut and paste the citation separately?
    Thanks
  • Just clicking the Zotero button in your browser should usually import most data for most academic websites. Check out this page for information on the various ways to get data into Zotero:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/getting_stuff_into_your_library
  • Thanks for all of your responses. I have nearly got this. I have two more questions about importing items:

1. Can I import citations in Zotero once I have copied a citation to the clipboard when doing a literature search? That is, a list of citations for future reference on a subject? e.g. Primary bone cancer. (2013). Nursing Standard (through 2013), 28(12), 22.

2. Is there a reason I can't retrieve metadata from downloaded items? Is it because I haven't downloaded them correctly or do some not come with metadata?

Elroy
  • 1) no. Just importing a basic citation into Zotero doesn't work.
    2) retrieve metadata only works for PDFs that are top-level items, i.e. not attached to a Zotero item already.

• So, basic citation information needs to be kept in something like a word document?
    The problem I had with downloading metadata was only on my Mac. When I went to work on Zotero on the PC in a lab, the metadata was all there. I think it was a synching problem.
    Do I need to do a manual synch when leaving the PC I have worked on during the day before I go to the mac I am working on at night?
    Cheers
    Elroy
  • "Do I need to do a manual synch when leaving the PC I have worked on during the day before I go to the mac I am working on at night?" - NO, sync to Zotero servers runs automatically
  • It took me some time, and googling around, this morning to realize that "retrieve metadata only works for PDFs that are top-level items, i.e. not attached to a Zotero item already" (adamsmith, above). It might be helpful to add this tidbit to the instructions here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/retrieve_pdf_metadata