canned IEEE style available in Zotero has errors

Hello,
How can I correct a style available in Zotero 5.0b ? My IEE style produces the following output (and that is just for j. articles and conf. proceedings.:

[19] D. Ongaro and J. Ousterhout, “In Search of an Understandable Consensus Algorithm<<,>>” in Proc. of the 2014 Usenix Annual Tech. Conf., Philadelphia, PA, 2014, pp. 305–319.

Note the misplaced comma (<<,>>) inside the title quotation marks. This happens systematically. On other types of objects, it sometimes gets other punctuation wrong and also the date format, etc.

Cheers, -ced
  • this happens when the locale/language is set to en-GB, but not with en-US.
  • Just to clarify this:
    The comma inside the quotation marks is correct US English _and_ correct IEEE style (check the guide).

If you see the comma outside the quotation marks, set the style to en-US as the language (it will default to your system locale).
    Any other problems we'd have to see specific examples. I'm not aware of any IEEE errors and the style is pretty carefully checked, though it's always possible something slips through.
  • edited April 14, 2017
    @damnation:
    @adamsmith:

My system's locale is set to something entirely different, and I am afraid I am not going to be able to change that.
    Can somebody explain why on earth Zotero's static format files depend on system locale ?
    The question falls through if indeed a comma inside a quotation mark is considered "correct" syntax.

One other systematic error is the doubling of punctuation mark at the end of a quoted reference. Example (just in the case of web pages):

[21] CoreOS related presentations at Meetups and Conferences. .
    ..........................................................................................^^^
    My question stands: is there a way for me to modify a style sheet __locally__ ?
  • For styles that are available in multiple languages, Zotero _defaults_ to the system language for the style (which seems as reasonable as any other option). You can adjust the language in the Document Settings in the word processor add-on, no need to change your system setting. So this isn't a static format; it's flexible to allow broad international usage of Zotero and its citation styles.

There's also no need to put "correct" in scare quotes. Setting punctuation within quotation marks is a universal rule in US-English typography and IEEE is a publicly available style manual, which you can just check: http://www.ieee.org/documents/style_manual.pdf (which would be appreciated anyway before reporting something as an error). See on p. 34

Basic Format:
    [1] J. K. Author, “Name of paper,” Abbrev. Title of Periodical, vol. x, no. x, pp. xxx-xxx, Abbrev. Month, year.
    (and following examples).

Yes you can edit styles locally: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

It's possible that the style would print wrong punctuation of items with a lot of fields missing (that's sometimes hard to avoid), though we'd need more information on this. It doesn't do this for me with webpages, even if just the webpage title is given, so we'd need to know which item type and in which field you have information. More likely, you should just fix the input data in Zotero.
  • All clear. Can work with all that. Thanks much for the gracious explanation, and rest assured that I will stay away from innocent quotes in the future, @adamsmith. Peace.
    -ced