Feature Request: text transform option for authors

Hi there, if you right-click on an entry's title, then you get all the text-transform options. I would be handy if a 'capitalise word' option were available for names - so that when they're imported in ALL CAPS as some old sites still do, they could be easily reformatted to something less capitalised.
thanks, J
  • This is generally planned, and some code has been written to implement this (as well as improvements to Zotero's web translators to prevent such names in the first place), but no estimates for when it will be added. Certainly after 5.0 is released out of beta.
  • That's great, thanks.
  • If you tell us the site(s) from which you observe this, we can fix it immediately for import on those.

@bwiernik -- is there a ticket/discussion on fixing author names on import in Zotero generally?
  • Hi @adamsmith : it was from here:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/43037183

Suhamy, Ariel. ‘Style Épicurien, Style Spinoziste’. Archives de Philosophie 57, no. 3 (1994): 513–22.

I'm wondering if this is a French journal preference as I have memories of encountering this on other French journals.

separate question really but linked to jstor funkiness - but with jstor using 'stable urls' not doi.s would you move the url they give to the doi field and should the translator be doing that?
  • Thanks. WIll fix all caps titles&authors in JSTOR.
    with jstor using 'stable urls' not doi.s would you move the url they give to the doi field and should the translator be doing that?
    No, I wouldn't for a couple of reasons: For one, CSL styles handle DOIs in basically two ways: they either use the (outdated) doi: prefix or they use the (now strongly preferred) https://doi.org/ prefix to turn them into URLs. (Zotero also uses the latter when you click on the "DOI" label in the interface). Neither would work when you use a JSTOR ID.

Also, DOIs have the additional property of being linked to metadata records accessible via a unified API. We may use this function in the future to allow refetch metadata for items and obviously JSTOR stable URLs would break that.