Upgrading notes functionality

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero 5.0 Beta.
  • Are there any plans to upgrade the notes function in Zotero 5.0? It would be great if there was additional functionality/flexibility within notes, such as the ability to choose fonts, adjust line spacing, and type anywhere on the page (as one can in programs like MS OneNote). An alternative to upgrading Zotero's own note taking function might be to have it so that creating a child note launches an external note taking software, with the resulting note still being saved as a child note in Zotero. Having a richer and more adjustable note taking experience would make Zotero an almost perfect reference manager in my opinion.
  • @Max212 The note taking tools in Zotero will probably not reach feature parity with OneNote for a long time, if ever. You can, however, copy links to a particular note from OneNote (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/johnguin/2011/02/14/tip-for-creating-links-to-certain-places-on-a-onenote-page/) and attach them to a Zotero item with Add Attachment -> Attach Link to URI.

For the other direction, you can copy a link to the Zotero item and paste it into OneNote (the Zotero Select instructions here: https://zoteromusings.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/zotero-item-uris-from-client/)
  • Hi @bwiernik, thanks for the info. Although it's possible to link to OneNote notes, ideally I would like to confine my note taking to Zotero, so that I don't have to add another program to my workflow. I don't think that it's necessary (or perhaps even desirable) for Zotero to have as powerful a note taking capability as a program like OneNote, but even some minor improvements to Zotero's note taking, like the ability to select fonts or to adjust line spacing (particularly between bullet points), would make a big difference to the functionality and user experience of the program I think.
  • (it is possible to modify the CSS, i.e. the stylesheet used in Zotero notes. There's an old thread for that that I believe still applies to 5.0, but in any case, you'll want that -- and all other feature requests -- to a separate thread)