I am running Zotero Standalone on my laptop, and keep getting error messages when I try to sync

I am also running Zotero under Firefox on my desktop, which works fine. However, because of the syncing problem, the content that I can access via my laptop is now different than what I can access from my laptop.
  • Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection.
    Start here: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/connection_error

Also note that you're still using Zotero 4.0.29.10. You should upgrade to 4.0.29.17.
  • I have seen that post, and I havw no idea how it can help me.

I also tried to download Zotero for firefox on my tablet: again, it accesses now differwnt content than from my desktop
  • I have seen that post, and I havw no idea how it can help me.
    You'd have to say more than that. The page has specific troubleshooting steps to try.
  • In which browser do I have to disable proxy settings? Which one is Zotero using? The page does not provide any specific instruction beyond recommending to diable the proxy. I tried to do that in chrome, but it had no effect on Zotero's behavior
  • By the way: I also tried to install zotero for Firefox on my tablet: it also access different info than what i can access fro my desktop.
  • As the page says, this is about your system proxy settings and/or system security software. Nothing to do with a specific browser.
  • OK: now that I know that I have to do " something" about the system proxy setting: what do I have to do? I tired everything I can think of, with no success.

Anything specific I could have been missing?
  • edited April 3, 2017
    As that page says, Zotero is using the system's Proxy. In older Windows system's those were oddly interwoven with Internet Explorer, but these days, best I know all operating systems have system proxy settings. Finding the system proxy settings for your operating system should be easily findable via google -- no way we can provide good instructions for every version of every OS.

Note that this does not _have_ to be a proxy settings. It could also be security/firewall software preventing Zotero from connecting to the internet (again, way too many options for us to run through them all, and more commonly you would receive some type of notification from the software).
  • I tired everything I can think of, with no success.
    Again, you really need to be more specific for us to be able to help you.

Did you try 1) upgrading to Zotero 4.0.29.17, 2) disabling all system proxy settings, 3) disabling security software, and 4) restarting Zotero? If so, provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup through a sync attempt that fails, using the "Enable after restart" option. (If you can't submit the output, you can view it, save it to a text file, and email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.)
  • I did upgrade to the latest version. Now, I have no error message when trying to sync. However, the content I have access to is different from what I can access to from my desktop.

That is a problem. However, I do not know how to generate a debug ID for that...
  • OK, so then you want this: Changes Not Syncing.