Italicizing suffixes (so that italicized newspaper titles can be included in citations)

edited April 3, 2017
Chicago style (16th edition, 14.206) says that newspaper articles can be cited as in-text citations without an accompanying bibliographical entry. The manual gives the example of "(New York Times, January 25, 2010)".

But the problem is that I have need to render the citation "(Peters 2009, 908; Kompas, 7 April 2011)" where "Kompas" is the italicised newspaper name. So I have created "Peters 2009, 908" as a Zotero citation, with "908" entered in the page number field and "Kompas, 7 April 2011" as a suffix. But even though I'm using the editor in classic view to highlight and italicise "Kompas", the italics are not appearing in the citation. The italics are visible in the editor preview window but not in the resulting citation.
  • Type HTML style < i > and < / i > tags (without spaces) around the text you want italicized. I don't think the text markup works in the Classic Dialog, and I would just recommend not using that view at all.
  • edited April 3, 2017
    Great. Thanks very much!
  • I think some fixes for the dialog were introduced in Zotero 5.0. I just tried two methods in Juris-M 5.0 (basically Zotero 5.0 with bells and whistles) in the Classic View -- typing the tags into the suffix field by hand, and using WYSIWYG to add italics -- and both worked fine, and came through in the citation. So this behavior might improve when Zotero 5.0 goes live.