PDFs no longer open within Firefox

Hi, The PDFs I have attached to my files in Zotero used to open within Firefox when I double clicked on them (ie they would open just above Zotero pane on my computer screen) . This allowed me to take notes from them. Now they seem to open externally in Adobe Acrobat Reader. How can I get them to open within Firefox again? Your help would be much appreciated. Karen
  • edited March 30, 2017
    Start here: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/file_handling_issues
    or by looking at about:preferences#applications in Firefox and what you have set up for PDFs. There may be multiple entries with slightly different names.
  • Sorry I am not all that technological. Where do I find 'about:preferences#applications' in Firefox? I have opened the 'prferences' tab in Zotero but cannot see 'applications'
  • edited March 30, 2017
    You just paste about:preferences#applications in the URL bar in Firefox and press return.

edit: and just to be clear, that's entirely Firefox. Zotero passes all files on to Firefox for handling.
  • Thankyou Adam. I now seem to be in the correct place.
    Under "Content Type' i find listed 'Adobe Acrobat Forms Document (Applications/ vnd.adobe.xfdf)" and Adobe Acrobat Forms Document (Applications/ vnd.fdf)".
    Under 'Action' for both these I find listed 'Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (default)'. I have tried changing these to 'Use PDF Viewer Plus SE Application' which seemed the most relevant available option in the drop down menu. However it still does not seem to be opening my PDFs within Firefox. Do you have any other suggestions? Many thanks, Karen
  • Are you sure you don't have "Portable Document Format (PDF)"? That's the standard one for PDFs (and you'd want it set to "Preview in Firefox".
  • Hello again Adam, Yay! Thank you so much. Yes I have found the PDF setting and changed to 'Preview in Firefox' and it now works. Grateful thanks. It is wonderful to get such prompt assistance.