View reference number

Hi,

I have a problem I'd assume was rather common. I got a set of printed journal articles and sources which I've add adhesive tabs to and keep in a binder. I'd like to be able to quickly browse these by writing a reference number on each tab and then track the same number in Zotero. I'm talking about a regular integer here. Nothing fancy.

So far my research into the problem has yielded nothing. Zotero uses ID's (I assume UUIDs) internally but not integers for local reference ID's as far as I can tell. There seems to be no way to show these in the GUI.

And it doesn't allow custom fields either so there's no way to manually add a number field.

Appending the number to the reference title adds its own set of problems but it seems to be the only way to go.

But I figured I should ask first as this is likely a common problem.

Very grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks,
  • You could use the extra field or the call number field.
  • Yes, the Call Number field is pretty much exactly intended for this type of use.
  • Thanks for a quick reply!

I didn't realize Call Number was intended for that. It was hard to find documentation on what the fields are for so I didn't know where I could safely stow the ID. The Extra field seems to be used for WorldCat lookups.
  • The Extra field is used for a variety of different 'extra' information. You can type enter/return to have multiple lines in Extra.