Style error: Journal of Structural Geology

CSL inputs citations in alphabetical order and then by date but Journal requires first by date and then by author: "Sort multiple citations in the text chronologically and then alphabetically, separate them by a semi-colon e.g. (Sprunt and Nur, 1976; Hickman and Evans, 1995; Lehner, 1995)."
With my zotero I have: ... lateMiocene (Casas Sainz and Faccenna, 2001; Ribeiro et al., 1990; Srivastava et al., 1990).
  • This style is dependent on elsevier-harvard.csl, which first sorts alphabetically and the crhonologically.
    @adamsmith, can you advise if we should make this an independent style? Style guide here: https://www.elsevier.com/journals/journal-of-structural-geology/0191-8141/guide-for-authors (this style guide doesn't mention CSL).
  • Thank You for your reply.
    I am not an expert on this but by tentative and error I changed the style to a personnel one and that solved de problem. But now I see that there are other differences between Zotero CSL and the required formatation for the Elsevier Journ. Struct. Geology. At least I saw differences on the bibliographic listing for Maps (editor and edition number not mentioned) and for Thesis (Zotero puts "Ph.D. Thesis" between brackets). I don't know how to change it.
    So I believe that you should make an independent style for this Journal.
  • @damnation --yes, this doesn't look very much like an Elsevier standard to me at all (e.g. the additional geological format, ordering, lack of italics, full journal names). Make it independent.
  • @jocarv2015
    Made a first quick draft. Can you let me know if it needs any more changes? https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/pull/2603
  • Where do I find a link to the respective csl file?
  • The CSL is here: https://github.com/damnation333/styles/raw/20dccdc770733426551323be8f316679d5ac47af/journal-of-structural-geology.csl (right-click --> save link as) Alternatively you can wait until we have reviewed it & the updated version appears on zotero.org/styles We try to do this within 48hs if possible. Advantage of checking out the style now is that you can report back any issues remaining to damnation.
  • Thank you. I'll try and let you know
  • A Fast inspection gives me some issues:
    - Inline citations not according to date and then author (xxxxxx (Carvalho, 2013; Carvalho et al., 2008; Kulatilake and Wu, 1984)). According to Elsevier should be (Kulatilake and Wu, 1984; Carvalho et al., 2008; Carvalho, 2013)

- Bibliographic issues:
    - In a PhD thesis: After de title of thesis is missing a dot and a space before "Ph. D. Thesis ....". And shoyld be Ph.D. instead of Ph. D.
    - In edited book: missing a dot before "In: Atksinson, B.K. (Ed) ....". And missing also the number of pages at the end
    - In edited book with more than one editor the number of pages is not missing
    - For maps is missing the scale and the Editor

That is all for now
  • ("And shoyld be Ph.D. instead of Ph. D." -- that one you need to fix in the data. The style just prints the type field).
  • Ooops, you are right. My mistake!
  • edited March 30, 2017
    Switched sorting to ascending instead of descending (issue date).
    Fixed the dot.
    Maps: can you give an example citation i can import to Zotero so i can test that?
  • For maps:
    This is the example presented in Instructions for authors:
    Albee, H.F., Cullins, H.L., 1975. Geologic map of the Alpine Quadrangle, Bonneville County, Idaho, and Lincoln County Wyoming. United States Geological Survey Geologic Quadrangle Map GQ-1259, scale 1:24,000

But it is very US oriented. So, it will be better like this (and I believe Elsevier will agree with it):
    Author, year. Map title. Series (if available), scale. Editor, edition
    Example: AAAAA, J., BBBBBBB, D., 2016. Folha 27-B Tomar. Carta Geológica de Portugal, escala 1:50000, Instituto Geológico e Mineiro, 2ª edição
  • I'm pretty sure this should be "Publisher, edition" not "Editor, edition" (The Portuguese "editor" translates to English "publisher")
  • You're right again!
  • Map added. Have a look what you think.
  • Please send me the link to download
  • edited March 31, 2017
    The link hasn't changed.

• (@damnation the raw links do change by commit, unless you get them not from the pull request but by going to the branch in your github fork, which I didn't do above out of convenience)
  • For a map, my data is:
    Title: Folha 27-A Vila Nova de Ourém
    Author: Manuppela, G. and 3 others
    Scale: 1:50000
    Series Title: Carta Geológica de Portugal
    Edition: 2ª
    Local: Lisboa
    Publisher ((in Portuguese "Editora"): Instituto Geológico e Mineiro
    Date: 1998

It appears wrongly as: Manuppella, G., Barbosa, B., Machado, S., Carvalho, J., 1998. Folha 27-A Vila Nova de Ourém, Carta Geológica de Portugal à escala 1:50000, 2a ed. Carta Geológica de Portugal1:50000, Instituto Geológico e Mineiro, Lisboa, 2a. ed.
  • For Ph.D. it still appears as: "... da atividade extrativaPh.D. thesis. Univers..."
    I mean, no dot and no space before Ph.D.
  • The record must say "Carta Geológica de Portugal à escala 1:50000" somewhere (type?) I don't see how the style could add the "à escala 1:50000" given that it's in English.
  • @damnation note that there is a CSL term for "scale" that you could use here.
  • I believe that based on the input data the record could be:
    authors, date. Folha 27-A Vila Nova de Ourém, Carta Geológica de Portugal, 1:50000, Instituto Geológico e Mineiro, Lisboa, 2a. ed.
  • @jocarv2015
    Check out the style up on the repository.