exceeding storage limit or security breach??

When syncing my account, I get a warning that I have exceeded my storage limits of my free account. In reality I have used about a third. Is this a scam to get credit card information? Anyone else experiencing this?
  • It's highly unlikely this is a scam. What's the exact message you're getting? Did you check on the file for which it gives you said warning? If you placed a single large file into Zotero (say, a movie), that'd get over the storage limit all by itself.
    Also, note that groups you own count towards the free storage limit.
  • edited March 28, 2017
    You can also check the size of your local Zotero profile folder, to see if it exceeds the free online storage limit (files on the server take up a little bit less space because they're zipped there, but if you mainly have PDFs the difference isn't that big): https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data

(you can also always disable file syncing if you don't want to be prompted to upgrade your storage; otherwise, well, you will get prompted when you bump against the free limit)
  • I generally expect this to be an issue you syncing with a different account than you're logging into the website to check your storage usage with. Make sure you're using the same credentials in your Zotero client's sync settings.
  • In my account profile My current plan says I have 2 Gb of storage, but I get an error message saying I have exceeded my storage limit of 300 MB. Confused. Help?
  • This is almost always caused by either syncing with a different account (most likely) or a message from a group owned by someone else than you. Check on both.