Multiple works by same author

edited March 28, 2017
Chicago style (16th ed., section 15.29) says:

"Additional works by the same author(s) are cited by date only, separated by commas except where page numbers are required.

(Whittaker 1967, 1975; Wiens 1989a, 1989b)"

However, Zotero is rendering a "two-source citation" for me as "(Gershon 2008; 2010)" instead of "(Gershon 2008, 2010)". (Note: Both library entries have the author's name spelt in the exact same way.)

Any advice?
  • Interesting, because I got "(Hoekstra 2015; Hoekstra 2016; Ansorge 2005; Ansorge 2013)" : Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition (author-date) - downloaded from repository just now
  • @LiborA Where is the repository that you refer to?

I just looked at the Chicago style manual online (I'm a subscriber) and it says:

15.29 Multiple text references

Two or more references in a single parenthetical citation are separated by semicolons. The order in which they are given may depend on what is being cited, and in what order, or it may reflect the relative importance of the items cited. If neither criterion applies, alphabetical or chronological order may be appropriate. Unless the order is prescribed by a particular journal style, the decision is the author’s.

(Armstrong and Malacinski 1989; Beigl 1989; Pickett and White 1985)

Additional works by the same author(s) are cited by date only, separated by commas except where page numbers are required.

(Whittaker 1967, 1975; Wiens 1989a, 1989b)
    (Wong 1999, 328; 2000, 475; García 1998, 67)
  • He's referring to the Zotero style repository on zotero.org/styles, which indeed produced the incorrect (Hoekstra 2015; Hoekstra 2016; Ansorge 2005; Ansorge 2013) as of last night. I'm not quite sure how you'd have gotten your citation.
    I fixed the style this morning and it should now work correctly, i.e.
    (Hoekstra 2015, 2016; Ansorge 2005, 2013) Update from the General tab of the Zotero preferences or by re-installing the style.

We can't, unfortunately, handle the page numbers for collapsed citations correctly, though.
  • Thanks very much, @adamsmith! It's working now.

"We can't, unfortunately, handle the page numbers for collapsed citations correctly, though."

So far, I haven't had need for this. Fingers-crossed I won't in the future...

PS What do you mean by "I'm not quite sure how you'd have gotten your citation"?
  • I meant that I don't understand how the old style ever would have produced "(Gershon 2008; 2010)" -- I guess unless you used supress author on the 2010 citation (which you shouldn't).
  • I didn't realise I wasn't supposed to suppress the author on the second source citation. I've unchecked this box now. Thanks again.