Year [Year] format

Dear Zotero Community,

In the field I study, my sources are produced in three different calendar systems; therefore, I have to state in my sources the publication years frequently in the "Year [Year]" format, e.g. "1300 [1900]".
It is not even uncommon that I have to state the publication year in the following format: "1300 [1900-1901]" (for when the beginnings and ends of two years in different systems do not overlap).

I realise the community was able to find a solution for "original publication year" (that initially looked to me like a similar problem) but the solution does not work for the case I have provided above. I also found out that a similar question was asked four years ago but the developer adamsmith answered there would not be an improvement on the issue anytime soon. I wonder if anything has changed in the software or if any of the users has come up with a creative solution.
  • What citation style are you wanting to use?
  • and why wouldn't the solution for original publication year work for you?
  • edited March 26, 2017
    Are you asking about calendar-system/type date comparisons? Will the original date entry trick not work when a range is entered?
  • Please provide full examples of how you want in-text and bibliography citations to appear. Again, what citation style are you using?
  • edited March 27, 2017
    Sorry my reply is late. Different time zones I guess...

I am using Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition (full note, no ibid).

I am not using in-text citations (except for footnote numbers) but only footnote citations (for the sake of avoiding such problems). I will also include a bibliography at the end of my work.

The solution for original publication year appears in my footnote citation as
    "(1876; repr., Istanbul: The Joint Committee on Levant Company, 1293)",

although it should be
    (Istanbul: The Joint Committee on Levant Company, 1293 [1876]),
    because those two are actually the same years.

---
    We can regard my question about range as of secondary importance. But let me still tell you the essence of the problem. It is as follows: For example, the last two months of 1293 in Ottoman fiscal calendar corresponds to 1878, but the first ten months correspond to 1877 in gregorian calendar. That is why if the publication of a fiscal report is dated 1293 and when we have no clue about its month of publication, it should be stated as "1293 [1877-1878]". However, as I have just mentioned this is rather of secondary importance, because I see other researchers tend to pick one out of two consequent years (often arbitrarily). I can always do the same.
  • @fbennett Does Juris-M have some method for accommodating multiple calendar systems like this? Is there a way to enter both dates with brackets in Zotero that will get the processor to pick them up correctly?
  • No. I fretted a little about non-Gregorian dates years ago, but never extended the processor to handle them. The biggest sticking point was lunar calendars. In those, an intercalary month is inserted at arbitrary intervals (set by whatever regime controls the calendar variant), so neither the months nor the years align neatly with Gregorian. There would be quite a few edge cases, both in storage and in output. If an attempt is made to handle them, it should probably be made in a plugin, before the main project takes it on.
  • Thank you very much for your answers. Indeed, I would also find adding an automatic date converter to Zotero inefficient, since it is near impossible to satisfy the entire researchers in all fields. This is why I would only want to be able to add a second year within brackets to the source information. In this way, everyone could convert the dates according to their own calculation/conversion method. Although it sounds to a non-coder like it would have a simple solution, I understand from the discussions on the forum that it is much more complicated than it sounds. Thank you all for your answers and for the time and great effort you put in Zotero.
  • @uygaraydemir A potential workaround solution for you would be to add the date as you want it to be formatted (with brackets and all) at the top of the Extra field like this:

issued: "1300 [1901-1902]"

This will override anything you have entered in the Date field when formatting citations. The quotes will force Zotero's citation processor to render it as a literal string, rather than trying to parse the date. I'm not sure how this will interact with things like sorting, etc., but it may work for you.
  • Thank you very much @bwiernik!

It actually works!

Only, it worked when I wrote in the extra section like this instead:

{:issued: "1300 [1900-1901]"}

Plus, I have to leave empty the date of publication box.

Then, it works. But this is good enough for me. I am not sorting my sources according to publication year. So for now, this is perfect. I appreciate this a lot! And I think this should actually be useful for many other researchers, as well.
  • which version of Zotero are you using? The format pointed to by bwiernik should definitely work and is preferred.
  • What version of Zotero are you using? The format I described works for me in the Zotero 5.0 beta, and I believe it works in the current version of Zotero 4.0.
  • I am using Zotero Standalone version 4.0.28.7
    and my word processor is Microsoft Word 2013.
  • yeah, you want to update to the most recent version, which is 4.0.29.17
  • Alright, now I have updated to 4.0.29.17 and now the format bwiernik described also works. Thank you again.