Zotero plugin not appearing on Word mobile ribbon

edited March 27, 2017
I have installed Zotero Firefox on my netbook which has Microsoft Office Word Mobile.

I have also installed the Word plugin directly from the Zotero website and from Zotero Firefox (Preferences>Cite>Reinstall Word Plugin). Unfortuntately, neither of these have worked, I still do not have the Zotero tab on my Word Mobile ribbon.

Appreciate advice on this.

Thanks.

Elenore
  • Zotero integration has not been tested with Word Mobile, although it is not out of the question that it could work. You would have to follow these instructions for manual installation and place the Zotero.dotm file in the startup folder. You will have to figure out where the startup folder is yourself as the instructions on that page are likely to not work for Word Mobile.
  • Thanks for the link to the detailed instructions.

Unfortunately, I can't find the startup folder for Word Mobile. I have googled a few ways of doing but sadly, none of them have worked.
  • You can try opening Zotero.dotm with Word Mobile, see if Zotero interface appears in the Ribbon and whether it's at all when attempting to use it. If it is that would indicate that the integration is at compatible with Word Mobile, we just need to figure out how to load Zotero.dotm file in Word by default.
  • edited March 27, 2017
    I tried opening the Zotero.dotm file using Word Mobile. I get as far as the "Install" folder; once I click on that, there are no files found (I am guessing Word Mobile is unable to recognize/read Zotero.dotm).:(

Will probably install LibreOffice as a last resort.

Thanks again for the helpful advice.
  • What he means is to try to download Zotero.dotm from here:
    https://github.com/zotero/zotero-word-for-windows-integration/tree/master/install

Open it and see if the Zotero tab appears on the Ribbon.
  • @bwiernik Zotero.dotm can actually be found in the profile directory, no need to download from github.

Is your netbook running Windows 10? If you navigate to the extensions/zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org/install in your Firefox profile in file explorer, do you see Zotero.dotm? Can you open it from there? If it is not there you can try the link bwiernik posted above.

Otherwise, if you have a standard Office 365 licence, you can use it with the full-fledged version of Office, which is likely to work on your netbook.
  • @adomasven -- people seem to struggle so much with finding Zotero.dotm locally that I've started to point to the downloadable version. Pretty sure bwiernik is aware of the local copy, so I assume he's had the same experience.
  • Thanks @bwiernik, @adomasven, and @adamsmith

Finding Zotero.dotm locally was easy enough. :)

The challenge is really in finding a way to open it using Word Mobile.

I've tried to open the Zotero.dotm file from Word Mobile (Attempt 1).

@adomasven -- I've tried your latest suggestion: found Zotero.dotm in extensions/zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org/install . I right-clicked
    "Open with" hoping that I could select Word Mobile but it just doesn't appear on the list (Attempt 2).

I suspect this means that the Word Mobile I have on my netbook (with basic functions) does NOT allow adding the Zotero interface.

I managed to add the Zotero interface on the trial version on WPS Word which was pre-installed on my machine. Will take it out for a spin with Zotero.

The netbook is my fourth machine (for when I travel)...I was hoping I wouldn't need to purchase additional software.
  • If you're unable to open the .dotm file both from within Word Mobile and using Open with..., it does sound like it may not be compatible. That wouldn't be super surprising given that this is the type of functionality I'd expect MS to remove from a pared down version.
    We'll add that limitation to the documentation.
  • edited May 11, 2017
    @elenore.sgh How did you add Zotero to WPS Word? Thanks!
  • We're pretty sure Zotero doesn't work on WPS Word even if you manage to get the icons to appear.
  • @fquevedo WPS Word directly copies all dotm files from MS Word template folder. You can see Zotero menu in the WPS Word ribbon, but it not works. I've asked developers of WPS Word to support of Zotero implementation, but we can only wait on their steps.