syncing reference tags between zotero standalone and zotero online

I have been adding new references and updating tags for references in a shared group library in Zotero standalone. The library was starting to have too many tags, so I was starting to combine/rename some of those tags into broader, overarching tag names to consolidate and reduce the number of tags. When I go to the group library online, the new references are showing up, but the tags are not updating. Any thoughts on why these tags are not updating on the online version? I am using chrome for my web browser and have run all updates for chrome and Zotero standalone.
  • The two things I'd try would be a) to make sure you've emptied your Zotero trash locally and synced and b) done a hard reload of your library (ctrl+shift+r) to make sure the display of tags is up to date.
  • no luck. I keep cleaning up the tags and getting the version I want in zotero standalone, but it won't sink to the online version. However, when I alter the tags in the online version, the changes DO sink to the standalone version.. not sure how to make the reverse happen...
  • edited March 25, 2017
    Try closing your browser and reopening it. I believe there's still some excessive caching of tags on the web interface (though @fcheslack would know better).
  • Tried closing/reopening browser too, but it didn't work. Not sure what caused this syncing glitch. Ultimately, I ended up clearing out all references from the shared library and bringing them back in one at a time, and now it seems to be working fine, successfully syncing tags between standalone and zotero online. I also hit the manual sync button frequently now to update my work online.
  • There's no need to sync manually. If you just leave auto-sync enabled, which is recommended, it will sync a few seconds after any change you make locally.
  • (And unless you checked on another synced computer, it's highly likely that this was just a cosmetic issue and that the tags were indeed syncing normally. Clearing out all items on the server isn't a recommended troubleshooting step.)
  • Ok thanks, I will turn auto-sync on. I did check on another sync'd computer so I was unsure of what else to do, but hopefully now everything will continue to work fine.