Import of library from RefMan 11

Hi,
have a rather large (+2000 items) library in RefMan 11 format from my old workplace (= don't have access to Refman now). How do I import these references in Zotero?
Best
Hansen
  • When you say "in RefMan format" does that mean you exported it somehow or that it's just the database? Standard RefMan export I think should just import into Zotero, but we won't be able to do anything with the database.
  • Unfortunately not exported, but the two original (.rmd and .rmx) database files from RefMan. Had hoped to bring these 1200 references with keywords and notes into Zotero in a "living" condition. Thanks for the quick reply.
  • I'm not aware of any way of doing that, sorry. You'd have to find some way/tool to convert those to standard exchange formats (most likely RIS or Refer/Bibix) in order to import into Zotero. It's possible such tools exists, though with RefMan being proprietary software, they very well may not.
  • OK thanks. I have to find someone with a RefMan that can export my references in a standard exchange format; are RIS and Refer/Bibix equal or is one to be preferred (if I have the possibility to chose)?
  • RIS would likely work better -- but if you're in RefMan already, I'd just export both so you have a back-up.
    RIS is typically referred to as such, but there is no unified naming for the Refer style. It's recognizable by tags starting with a % sign.
  • Thanks. Good idea, I'll try both.
  • Hello, I have almost the same problem that DSHansen has.
    I tried to export all the references that I have added into my database on Reference Manager: the software gives the command "export marked references in RIS format". I did it successfully, and the file produced has .txt extension. But when I ask Zotero to import the file, it replies that the file format is not supported.
    Thanks in advance
  • Can you change the file name from .txt to .ris and see if it works? (Just guessing here)
  • No, Zotero doesn't care about the file extension at all. Could you open the .txt file in a text editor like Notepad or TextEdit and copy the first ~30 lines and paste them here?