Word removed zotero plug in

Hi,
Does anyone know how to get the plug in back for word on mac. I have tried reinstalling the plugin, which successfully downloads each time. I have redownloaded the zotero standalone itself. I tried to modify the word start up but was unable to find it. Does anyone know how
  • Start here: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting

If you're still having trouble, you'd have to be more specific as to what you're trying and what's not working.
  • So i have tried to re install the word plug in for mac through the zotero stand alone preferences. I have tried deleting the entire zotero app and all plug ins and reinstall but that also doesn't help. When i go into finder on mac, and click on 'zotero.dot', a word document opens with the plug in installed. The problem is that the plug in used to work with all my word documents. I am currently half way through an assignment that requires a specific template and i cannot get the plug in on that document.
  • Are you on Word 2016?
  • Probably, i have the newest version but i don't know if its 365. sorry for being unhelpful
  • So i downloaded the zotero.dotm and found my microsoft start up folder and copied it into the word folder start up. When i re open word the plug in still isn't there but when i click on the zotero.dotm it says to enable macros which i agree and a document with the plug in opens, but any previous documents still don't have the plug in
  • Open a new Word document, go into Preferences -> View. Check "Show developer tab" at the bottom of the preferences window and close it. Go into Developer tab and click Word Add-ins. Is Zotero.dot or Zotero.dotm listed?
  • So i clicked show developer tab. When i clicked on add ins zotero.dot was clicked but zotero.dotm was not. I then clicked the box and tried to re open word, but it is now not responding
  • Right, I should have mentioned that you should remove Zotero.dot from the startup folder.
  • Okay I've removed it, but my word still won't open
  • Hmmm. We've never had this before. Does it open if you remove both Zotero files from the startup folder?
  • I mean this is very non-standard behaviour and I'm sorry you are having this. Probably best to begin by restarting your mac, removing anything from the Word startup folder, making sure Word starts properly and then attempting to add Zotero.dotm again.
  • So I've restarted my mac, emptied the folder and re added the zotero.dotm. Ive added it in the developer tab now and it has finally worked. Ive tried opening multiple documents and had to manually change from normal to zotero.dotm to get the plug in. is there a way for me to permanently change to always open with zotero like before?
  • If you add the file through the developer tab it will indeed need to be loaded manually every time. Use these instructions to confirm that your startup folder is where you think it is by examining it in Word Preferences. Place Zotero.dotm there (you might want to remove Zotero.dotm via Developer tab from Word before doing this). It should be loaded automatically and just work upon restart. If the UI in Word still does not appear automatically, then I am afraid we are out of troubleshooting advice on our end of things and you will need to follow it up with Microsoft.
  • After i followed these instructions, the zotero.dotm was greyed out (unclickable). Im guessing ill have to manually add it each time, but thank you for your time.
  • my guess is that this is related to some security setting (likely something with macros), but that might be too unspecific to be helpful.
  • My problem is similar. I never had the plug-in but it does not show in the Word toolbar (MAC). It does not show in my add-ins either. Is it possible that the latest plug-in is not signed, therefore (the latest version of) Firefox will not allow the install?
  • no, the add-on is definitely signed. Could you describe what exactly you've tried so far, which Zotero version, etc.?
  • Thank you for that info. I am a new user, so Zotero and Firefox have newly been downloaded, so the latest version of everything (including Word 2016). The plug-in is downloaded, I see it in Finder Zotero.dot. I closed Word and Firefox, but still no Zotero toolbar.
  • Hi Adam, Any luck in figuring out this plug-in problem since yesterday? Thanks.
  • I tried all those yesterday. I was hoping for another way around this fix.
  • You'd have to be more explicit than "tried all of these" -- what exactly did you do and what happened?
    Generally speaking, it's pretty unlikely that you successfully placed Zotero.dot (or Zotero.dotm) into your active Word startup folder and aren't seeing the toolbar in Word.