[SOLVED] Zotfile on Zotero 5.0 beta Standalone for mac, need help installing

edited March 22, 2017
Installed Zotero 5.0 beta just now and Zotfile is not working.

I don't seem to be able to find out the file for the beta version of Zotfile (5.0) to use in zotero. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
  • You can install the ZotFile 5.0 beta by following the instructions here:
    https://github.com/jlegewie/zotfile/tree/5.0
  • It's for the Zotero standalone beta 5.0, those files are for the browser-based version, correct?
  • Both use the same extension system. You can install the .xpi for the ZotFile beta in Zotero Standalone the same as in Zotero for Firefox. (Also, there is no browser-based version of Zotero 5.0.)
  • Right, sorry, I'm extremely ignorant.

I went to github, but I don't seem to be able to generate the .xpi file.

I downloaded the zip, extracted the contents and run the 'Makefile' unix executable file, but I get a whole bunch of errors. Am I doing something wrong?
  • These is the specific output I get from Terminal:

Last login: Wed Mar 22 18:16:52 on ttys000
    Joses-MacBook-Pro-2:~ JoseAreta$ /Users/JoseAreta/Desktop/zotfile-5.0/Makefile ; exit;
    /Users/JoseAreta/Desktop/zotfile-5.0/Makefile: line 1: all:: command not found
    /Users/JoseAreta/Desktop/zotfile-5.0/Makefile: line 3: -include: command not found
    /Users/JoseAreta/Desktop/zotfile-5.0/Makefile: line 5: shell: command not found
    /Users/JoseAreta/Desktop/zotfile-5.0/Makefile: line 5: RELEASE:=: command not found
    /Users/JoseAreta/Desktop/zotfile-5.0/Makefile: line 7: zotfile.xpi:: command not found
    zip warning: name not matched: chrome.manifest
    zip warning: name not matched: defaults
    zip warning: name not matched: install.rdf

zip error: Nothing to do! (chrome.zip)
    /Users/JoseAreta/Desktop/zotfile-5.0/Makefile: line 11: zotfile-%-fx.xpi:: command not found
    /Users/JoseAreta/Desktop/zotfile-5.0/Makefile: line 12: $@: ambiguous redirect
    /Users/JoseAreta/Desktop/zotfile-5.0/Makefile: line 14: Makefile.in:: command not found
    /Users/JoseAreta/Desktop/zotfile-5.0/Makefile: line 17: FORCE:: command not found
    logout
    Saving session...
    ...copying shared history...
    ...saving history...truncating history files...
    ...completed.

[Process completed]
  • There are instructions that just involve zipping and unzipping here:
    https://github.com/jlegewie/zotfile/tree/5.0#installation

But if you want to run this on the commandline, it'd be
    cd /Users/JoseAreta/Desktop/zotfile-5.0
    ./make
  • When I try to run the make command, this is what I get

"Joses-MacBook-Pro-2:zotfile-5.0 JoseAreta$ make
    make: *** No rule to make target `zotfile--fx.xpi', needed by `all'. Stop."
  • Sorry guys, but I have no idea how to do these things, I'm trying my best but find the instructions in github confusing to say the least.

I didn't have any issues installing zotfile on the previous version of zotero using the xpi file I got from the zotfile site, but I don't seem to be able to create the xpi file.

Why isn't the xpi file readily available to download like in the previous version?
  • because it's a beta version and Joscha doesn't want to deal with building it every time he updates the code. Could you say what the problem is with the just zip solution?
  • [SOLVED]

Right, understood.

I tried the whole thing again from scratch and now it worked. There must have been some sort of damaged file or similar.

Now it is all up and running. Thanks for your help and patience!