"Processing updated data files from sync server"

I'm getting his message, with the solid green progress bar, and the "Zotero (not responding)" message at the upper left. This is Zotero Standaline, on Chrome.

Direct web access fails differently: Folders are displayed in alphabetical order, but no folder will open.

Is the Zotero server down for some reason? Is there a way to tell when it is down?
  • How long have you let the sync run? That message is just saying that it is finishing the sync. If it is a large
    one, it can take a few minutes. The upcoming Zotero 5.0 update handles large syncs much better--it no longer locks up the entire interface (or gives the Not Responding message) when syncing.
  • It finally did clear -- after it identified and I resolved some conflicting records. (Am not sure what causes that recurrent problem.)

It will be good to get rid of the Not Responding message if the system is indeed running OK -- otherwise the system will seem to be stuck.

Same logic applies also to the solid green progress bar. Progress bars should be dynamic and show actual progress, and not misleadingly appear to be stuck, as this one did (and as it has appeared to others, judging from several Forum mentions).

• The same problem as before. Same solid green "progress" bar. Fourth attempt this afternoon. No access.

I tried the web version, which seemed to load OK, but then would not open a folder.
  • I see repeated full downloads for your account over the last hour. Don't force-quit Zotero even if the progress bar hangs, or else this will just keep happening.
    Progress bars should be dynamic and show actual progress
    This is a technical limitation dating to the state of the Firefox extension framework when Zotero was first created. One of the major changes in Zotero 5.0 is a near-complete rewrite of the codebase to keep the UI responsive even when it's busy processing things (though it also syncs in much smaller chunks and avoids the automatic full downloads that happen for various reasons in 4.0).