Can't connect to attachments stored locally to Zotero

I do not synch anything online. All of my data is stored locally. I recently did a Mac OS (Sierra) upgrade and re-installed Firefox (52.0). I have my research stored in Zotero in 2 Firefox profiles. Somewhere along the line *one* of the profiles will now not connect to any attachments (I have multiple GBs worth of PDFs.)

The path *looks* fine to me. Because when I go to preferences to ask Zotero to show me the data directory, the correct set of files pops up. But when I click on individual items in my Zotero, I get an attachments not located message.

The current file path is:
Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/gmggh394.Default User/storage

Please tell me what I am doing wrong or where I may look for guidance. Thanks.
  • Did you use any export/import to move the data between profiles?
  • I don't know what you mean by "any export/import". Are you asking about Apple's proprietary software to move stuff? Or a particular command? All I would have done is copy/paste or dragged files around. I may have done that to make a backup and attempted to restore off the backup and screwed it up that way.
  • Using Zotero's "Export" and "Import" functions is what I was referring to.

It doesn't sound like you've used those. Obvious question, perhaps, but you've checked that there are folders in Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/gmggh394.Default User/storage and that those folders contain files?

Could we then get a debug ID for trying to open a file that throws a could not locate error:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • Debug ID D210605319.
    Let me also mention that a very few of the attachments are locatable. These are only the most recent additions.
  • So there are two different situations with different troubleshooting steps:
    1) The files are in the storage folder, but Zotero doesn't find them
    2) The files aren't in the storage folder (so Zotero obviously doesn't find them)

I initially understood you as describing 1), but when you say "few of the attachments are locatable" -- are you describing 2)?
  • These files are *all* in the same directory. Zotero is not finding them except it will find a tiny number (out of 1000) of the most recent attachments. I know; it doesn't make any sense.
  • @dstillman could you get the filepath/itemID from the debug above, please?
  • How do I do that?
  • comments with @ are directed at other people, you can ignore that.
  • Sorry. I see now you are asking someone else to do it.
  • Attachment file '[…]/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/gmggh394.Default User/zotero/storage/3MIMGRNA/[…].pdf' not found
  • @EileenClancy
    could you check if the folder /Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/gmggh394.Default User/zotero/storage/3MIMGRNA/ exists and if it contains a PDF?
  • I am traveling now. Won't be back at that computer until Monday. Will check then. Thanks for following up.