Sharing .odt files

• Hi I have similar problems with both .odt and .doc formats.
    I work in .odt on OpenOffice on Mac Sierra. I cite with Chicago style footnotes.
    (LibreOffice is not an option for me because any attempt to use Zotero makes it freeze. I can use LibreOffice to compare or merge documents. I feel like the best is to compare documents indeed.)
    When I get files back from my editors (who use all kinds of programs, word, openoffice etc.) I loose the connection to the citation fields. Meaning that my citations are still there but they are no longer gray, meaning I can't edit them.
    I thought it had to do with having to save the file in .doc but now I sent an .odt file to an editor, who returned me an .odt as well, and I experienced the same issue.
    What can I do to get my citations fields back?
    How to avoid this in the future when I have to send out stuff for revisions, both in .odt and in .doc?
  • @laylazami this is not exactly related to the problem above. But in general, if they edit your .odt file in google docs, pages or other non-OpenOffice based software (LibreOffice, OpenOffice of NeoOffice), then the link to your library will be broken. There is nothing you can do, except to ask them to use one of these software, or add their changes to your original document manually.

If you choose to save zotero citations in document preferences as Bookmarks and save the document as .doc, then people using Word (along with OpenOffice based software) can edit the file without breaking the connection to Zotero, however Bookmarks are more easily accidentally edited and may introduce bugs in the document.

@dstillman can you split this off?