Word cannot communicate with Zotero

I can't insert any citations in Word because when I try, I get this error "Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero or Firefox is open and try again." But of course both Zotero and Firefox is open. I have tried closing out of both and re-opening, to no avail. Firefox is 52.0 (64-bit). Mac system I am using is: 10.11.5 (15F34). I am not very tech savvy, so a response in layman's terms would be great. Everyone is always raving about Zotero, but I have never been able to get this citation thing to actually work, and I am so sad about it. This is just the most recent effort at trying. Thank you for your help. Brownels
  • Which Word version?
    And are you using Zotero Standalone or the Firefox add-on?
  • Hi Adam Smith, thanks. The Word version is: Mac 2011, with this update: 14.5.9. And I am using the Firefox add-on. Thx!
  • First thing to try would be to re-install Word components from the "Cite" tab of the Zotero preferences.
  • Hi--well I embarrassed to say this, but I cannot find a 'Cite' tab of the Zotero preferences. I can find the place to download the plugin (again), which in my view is under 'home' on Zotero. Is that what you mean? Apologies if I am being uber dense. I think I have tried re-downloading and re-installing but will do so again if you think this is the issue.
  • In Firefox, put about:addons in the URL bar and press return.
    Among the extensions, you should see "Zotero, the next generation research tool"
    Click on "Options" next to it. That opens Zotero's preferences. Click the Cite tab, the re-install Word components.
  • Hi, well I still can't see a cite tab, but I can see 'disable' and 'remove' as options. As well as 'preferences,' which does not show anything at all. Should I remove this add-on and then re-install? (BTW it says that the add on was last updated on march 4th).
  • Don't re-install, no. Under "More", what version number for Zotero does it give you?
  • 3.5.14. That sound about right? (thank you so much, btw).
  • That's the Word integration you're looking at. There should be an entry for Zotero itself, separate from that. It'll have the "the next generation" tagline. If you don't have that, install it from https://www.zotero.org/download/
  • Hmmm. I don't see it. Let me try and install it now.
  • Should I do the Firefox Plug in or the Stand Alone? I would assume Firefox bit thought I would double check to be sure...
  • I'd start with the Zotero add-on. You can always add Standalone later.
  • Wow! It worked! So now Word and Zotero can speak to each other. However, I still can't figure out how to add a cite. I go to Word, and I click the cute tiny icon on the far left of the Zotero citation bar. When I do that, a bar shows up on my screen with a Z on the left, outlined by red (it is a 'classic view.') Theoretically this is supposed to link to my library. But it does not seem to. I will type something in that is in my library, such as 'Stryker,' hit enter, and nothing happens. When I go to the Library directly and click an item I require, such as Stryker, nothing happens either beyond showing the bibliographic info I have already put there. For example, no place to add additional info such as page number. No OK button, etc. I am still finding this all very counter-intuitive...I don't know if this is the program, or me, or a combo.
  • AdamSmith, just when you thought you'd be able to have a day of your own, I come up with a new problem...I will try and figure it out. Thanks so much for all your help!
  • You need to sync: https://www.zotero.org/support/sync so your online library is actually present locally.

You should also look at some of the introductory documentation, e.g. here https://www.zotero.org/support/quick_start_guide to make sure you understand how to best work with Zotero. Your library may also have resources or even classes on Zotero.
  • Thanks, Adam! Will do. Must head off to class now, though! Thanks for all your help.