Suggestion for add-on

I am writing my PhD with the help of Zotero and although there are some speed issues beacuse I insist on working in one complete document, I think it is a fantastic tool.
Because I have many references spread over a large document (I am at 30 000 words and halfway through) I would love to have a way to see in my Zotero library which references have already been cited in one document (on which one I still have to add).
  • The way I keep track of "to be cited" and "cited" references is via colored tags. It is not automatic, but the fastest manual way I know of. My "to be cited" is the first colored tag and "cited" is the second colored tag. You can assign these tags to an item by selecting the item and pressing "1" or "2" on the keyboard. If you hit '12", it assigns both first and second tag to the item.
  • Document collections are planned in Zotero proper, btw., so if someone did want to develop that, might be worth looking at implementing it in Zotero directly rather than in an add-on that requires maintenance.