SYNC problem - continuous

My sync icon just keeps going around and the items sync but the groups I created have not. Anyone see this before?

Zotero 4.0.29.16
FireFox 52.x and 53.x
Windows 10 x64 Pro
  • It seems like you're syncing now, yes?
  • this is happening again, not sure why. IT said there were conflicts and to click the sync button, but then it just goes back to the continuous sync.
  • It looks like a sync of yours just finished a few minutes ago.
  • yes - it took forever and threw a bunch of sync errors and then just errored again. Now syncing .......
  • Meaning it's working now?
  • not really. I keep getting the red exclamation point, which says to click the sync icon to continue, I do and it attempts to sync and then gives me the red exclamation point again. So it did sync and now it isn't.
  • Report ID? And what's the exact message?
  • (that sounds like the sync conflict message, FWIW)
  • IT said before to click the sync icon to resolve conflicts. Now it says that a directory cannot be created - I would attach a screenshot, but don't see a way to do that.
  • How about a Debug ID (different from a Report ID)?

I think you might just be getting a file sync error at this point.

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/file_sync_errors
  • debug id: D691184707
  • A good article on file sync errors, but there is a small problem. Why would anyone take the chance of disabling security software, even if they are able, just to get this to sync? Yes I am frustrated, but this is a work computer and I cannot disable some software and the software I can disable, I am not sure I wish to. This is not a good solution. I will look into putting in an exception.
  • So this is the error message you're getting:
    The file 'D:\Users\zotero\storage\FA84XZGE\[...].html' cannot be created.

Check that the file is not currently in use, that its permissions allow write access, and that it has a valid filename.

Restarting your computer or disabling security software may also help.
    We can't really tell you more than that.

If this is because of security software, you may have more luck switching to Zotero Standalone. It's more likely that security software will prevent Firefox from accessing other parts of the disk.

But this isn't a problem in Zotero itself — if it can't access the disk, there's nothing it can do about that.
  • (And the upcoming Zotero 5.0 will only exist as a standalone version, so Firefox-related permissions problems should go away.)
  • In my experience, this is more often due to Windows messing with write permissions for the storage folder than to security software (though it's certainly worth looking at that, too). Check if the "Read Only" box is marked in all black when you look at the storage folder in the zotero data directory (https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data), right-click --> Properties. Try to uncheck it, though it'll likely revert back. If you have IT folks, they'd know how to fix this. I'm not aware of a solution that does not involve the commandline.
  • I am the IT guy here.
  • I unchecked the read only box using the GUI.
  • (Though I guess, as explained there, some programs may refuse to save under such folders, and it's possible that affects Firefox/Zotero.)