Storage plan for group library

This discussion was created from comments split from: Can't sync.
  • Hey Dan,

is it possible, that the storage plan for my group library ran out?
    It seems, I can't upload anything anymore.

Best regards
    Pascal

PS: Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to send a pm here.
  • @Pascal%20T. -- what's the exact error message you're getting? Generally, an expired storage plan would tell you you're out of storage, not prevent you from adding things to Zotero
  • Hey Adam,

thank you for your reply.
    I already figured out, how to solve my problem.

My boss transferred the ownership of the group library to me, but since my boss had the storage plan linked to her profile, nobody was able to upload anything to the group library anymore.

Unfortunately that produces some issues for us:

Is it possible to split an group-ownership?
    Since the storage plan is linked to my bosses account, but I'm supposed to be the owner of our group-collection and we don't have the budget to pay for an additional storage plan, we don't see any good solution.

Also:
    What exactly is the difference between an ownership and the role of an admin within a group library? Is it just a legal difference?

Greets
    Pascal
  • Any reason you need to be the owner? Because other than who pays, there are no substantive differences between owner and admin
  • What exactly is the difference between an ownership and the role of an admin within a group library? Is it just a legal difference?
    Only real difference is whose storage quota the library files count against and who's account is charged for the storage (the owner's).
  • edited April 11, 2017
    I think I may have a related question:

As part of my work, I need to compile A LOT of research articles, for myself as well as my boss. My boss--let's call her Kate--asked me to set up a Zotero account for her (that she pays for) so that I can put all the articles we are using for our work together in there. When I was setting up Kate's account for her, I also set up my own, separate account. Thus, acting from Kate's account (or as her tech guru, however you want to think about it), I created and shared some group libraries with my own account, or so I thought.

Mainly, I purchased the separate account for myself so that I could use Zotero for my articles for my own side projects, while also adding to the group libraries.

However, I just got the renewal notice for MY account, and when I went to pay it, I realized that all of the articles from at least one of Kate's group libraries are actually taking up space in my account.

I don't know how to transfer these files to the account Kate pays for. Also, they take up such a large amount of space, that I do not think they can be transferred all at once to the Zotero storage space she pays for now, so will I need to have her upgrade this first? Also, how do I avoid this from happening again? Is there any way to be able to log in and out of Zotero under different user names so I can just keep the accounts they save to totally separate, or what?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
  • Double-check that Kate is the _owner_ of the group in question. If she is not, transfer ownership to her. That doesn't actually require moving any files, so it's instantaneous and takes something like 5 clicks total.
  • Wow, thank's for the instantaneous response :) I will do that. If this is the case, should I have Kate increase her storage space before I transfer the ownership to her, since she's mostly filled up the 2 GB she pays for now, and I estimate the group I need to transfer is about 2 GB by itself?

• that'd probably make sense, though the order isn't super critical -- the files are still going to be there locally and will sync once the storage is increased (though you will get a file sync error until it is).
  • OK, got it. I was just terrified they might vanish into the ether if there wasn't enough room for them all at once. Much thanks!
  • actually -- it may throw an error when you try to transfer, I'm not 100% sure -- but that would just tell you to increase storage for the target account, too.

Either way, no vanishing into the ether.