[5.0 Beta] (D742280380) unable to move sub-directories between group libraries.

Debug ID => D742280380, version => 5.0-beta.162+1b81004, platform => Win32, locale => en-US, Java =>SE 8 U121

Unable to move sub-directories between group libraries via drag and drop from client.

Both group libraries are private with user (me) having read and write access. Is this a new undocumented feature ? (lol) I'm pretty sure I was able to do this before.

Any feedback will be most appreciated.
  • This should be fixed in the latest build, 163. Thanks for reporting.
  • RE: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/271381#Comment_271381
    Unable to move sub-directories between group libraries via drag and drop from client.

Debug ID => D1935842725, version => 5.0-beta.163+d0d7aec, platform => Win32, locale => en-US, Java =>SE 8 U121(11.121.2.13 plugin)

Hi Dan,

(FYI) Today's update to 5.0-beta.163 did not fix the problem. I submitted a new report for your review.

Thanks again, for all you do.
  • edited March 4, 2017
    (No need for a new thread for the same issue.)

You're not getting errors any more. Are you sure you're not just trying to drag a collection to the same destination? That won't work — Zotero stores the link and won't let you copy the same thing twice. (Eventually this will be used to help merge changes between libraries. For now you if you want to copy a set of items again you have to delete them and empty the trash in the target library.)
  • Actually, what I describe doesn't seem to be working for collections at the moment. I'm able to drag the same collection twice.

Can you describe exactly what you're doing?
  • edited March 4, 2017
    OK, the check I describe is in place, but only for dragging from My Library to a group library, not the other way around. (I'll fix it to apply both ways as in 4.0.) So if that's what you're trying, you'll need to delete the target collection/items and drag again.
  • I'm trying to copy a folder from My Library to a group. Although I tried before I don't think I succeeded and the folder (i.e. sub-collection) move is definitely not reflecting in the client or the web interface.

When I drag and drop into the private group, the cursor x out, that is a circle cross over and the move does not happen.

I rebooted the client and Firefox and clear the cache on Firefox. This time I tried the move again, however it did not create an error code as it did before.

So to confirm I'm only dragging from My Library to a group library, not the other way around.
  • So to confirm I'm only dragging from My Library to a group library, not the other way around.
    Right, so then there's a very good chance it's what I describe. Is it possible you renamed the collection in the group? (The visible name doesn't matter.)

If you create another collection in My Library and copy the items from the first collection into the new one, are you able to drag the new collection to the group?

Also, just to be sure, can you create collections and items manually in the group library?
  • >If you create another collection in My Library and copy the items from the first collection into the new one, are you able to drag the new collection to the group?

No, and if that was the case wouldn't then items from that folder that were move be in the new group even though the group folder is not showing ?

>Also, just to be sure, can you create collections and items manually in the group library?

Yes, in both or any group for that matter
  • No, and if that was the case wouldn't then items from that folder that were move be in the new group even though the group folder is not showing ?
    Yes.

Are you able to copy a new empty collection to the group?

Are you able to copy a new empty item to the group?
  • Oh, this might be a Linux-specific issue. Hang on.

• > Are you able to copy a new empty collection to the group?
    No

> Are you able to copy an [new empty ?] item to the group?

Yes, I can copy an item from My Library into the Group
  • A folder ( i.e collection ) with items ? No

A folder ( i.e collection ) empty ? No

Just an item ? Yes
  • OK, I can't test it at the moment, but I suspect this is fixed in 164.
  • OK,Thanks
  • >A folder ( i.e collection ) with items ? Yes

fix in 5.0-beta.166+e9fd7f2