Local dataserver and 5.0

This discussion was created from comments split from: Local server for multiple Zotero user.
  • Hi
    We are running a local server and using the Z4 FF addin (modified appropriately to synch with that local server).
    Are there any updates/upgrades to be done on the local server when switching to Z5 Firefox Connector? will synching continue to work ?
    thanks,
    Herman
  • You'd definitely have to be running up-to-date server code.

(And note that the relevant component for syncing on the client side would be the Zotero 5.0 client, not the new Firefox connector. You won't have to build your own client, though.)
  • OK, that is clear. Thanks for your quick answer, Dan.

Now, but from some other posts i did understand that a local server (of course with the "up-to-date" server code) can "synch" with both Z4 & Z5 clients. Is that correct?

Secondly: Any gotchas in updating the server code ? what about the database "schema" , is there an upgrade process to upgrade the existing database, without loosing existing data?
    thanks,
    Herman
  • Now, but from some other posts i did understand that a local server (of course with the "up-to-date" server code) can "synch" with both Z4 & Z5 clients.
    Correct. Though you're probably better off just upgrading everyone ASAP, because you can then remove the background sync processors. Generally speaking, 5.0 should be easier to support on the server-side.

As for updating, that I can't help you with. For schema changes specifically, you can look at the log of the misc/ folder.

(There are some additional server-side changes coming before 5.0 Final, by the way.)

For further discussion, you should post to zotero-dev — we try not to have technical discussions here, and the people running custom dataservers read zotero-dev.
  • Ok, I understand. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!