Two Date Formats issue

Dear all,

my standalone Zotero Database (for Mac) has two date formats, which it applies arbitrarily. Sometimes it inserts the date as mm/dd/yyyy, sometimes as dd/mm/yyyy. As it inserts the two formates like this in m footnotes, you can understand, that this is a catastrophy.

I need just dd/mm/yyyy. My system language is german and therefore dd/mm/yyyy should be implied.

Can anybody help me and tell me what to do?

Thank you so much in advance!

Dani
  • The easiest would be to enter dates in an unambigous format, i.e. either as YYYY-MM-DD or with spelled out or abbreviated months -- Jan 1, 2017
    There is a way to get Standalone to properly recognize your locale for the date format but it's a bit involved (there's a thread somewhere here describing it).

Or are you saying this happens on auto-import? If so, from where?
  • Hey!

Thank you! But i am afraid, this would not solve my problem.

1) I must have the format dd.mm.yyyy as it is proper for the german speaking countries. Otherwise my dissertation would not be accepted.

2) All my entered sources till now use this format. It would be a massive undertaking to change everything. My dissertation is close to the end and the issue occured just now. Before, everything was fine.

I enter all my sources manually.

I will look for the thread. Perhaps, it will help.

If someone has another idea, pls let me know! Currently, I can't continue my work. :(
  • I'm not sure anything will work for already entered dates, I'm afraid. This has also been the case for a long time -- it's nothing new. So even with the fixed local settings in Zotero, I'm pretty sure you'll have to re-enter those dates.

You're misunderstanding the relationship between dates in zotero and citations, though. As long as zotero understands the date correctly, which it always does with YYYY-MM-DD, it gets displayed correctly (i.e. as specified by the citation style) in citations, so you'd get DD.MM.YYYY in German citation styles.