Linking references from different chapters without merging them in one document?

Hello,

I would like to link references from different chapters of my thesis (so that the short titles and bibliography work) without copy-pasting all of my chapters in one document. Is that possible?

Alternatively, how do I number each chapter's footnote references from no 1? My department requires each chapter's footnotes to be numbered from 1.

Thank you!
Jessie
  • Just to clarify your style request--
    Are you asking for a numbered style that requires each reference to be to a footnote on the page where cited? You need each chapter to restart footnote numbering. You need a single unified bibliography for the entire document. The bibliography is _not_ numbered but is sorted by author name.
  • Thank you - yes, that is correct.

A number style with footnotes at the bottom of each page but restarted numbering for each chapter. Bibliography is then sorted by authors.

Thank you!
  • Sorry, we never answered this -- did you figure this out? You can just use Word to start footnotes at 1 for each new section. That should work fine (unless you're using a citation style that cross-references between footnotes, which I believe you aren't).
  • Yes, that is what I did in the end. But as the document is long, it takes forever to update it.
  • I have a related question. I have to use the same style, starting every section/chapter with footnotes from 1, word can do this no problem. I have to also use OSCOLA for referencing however, that use cross-references between footnotes, so now my footnotes refer to wherever the footnote is the continuous list (ignoring the section breaks inserted in Word). So for example footnote 115 in chapter 4 refers to footnote 5 in chapter 1 as this is the first time I cited the relevant author, instead of giving the full citation without cross reference. Any ideas for a work around?
  • The only workaround would be to author each chapter in a separate file.