To create a search engine

Hi,

I am actually looking for an engine for a database of articles management. It is for a historical circle, that has got actes that are local academics researches. I would like to create an engin search with all the metadata field and so…

Is there a zotero version for server or any usefull tool for performing it?

Thanks in advance
  • So… I give more informations:
    -I've got an availlable MySQL database
    -I want the articles from the society being serachable on scolar google
  • It is somewhat difficult to understand your question. There are people on this forum who understand many languages. You can try asking using your own language. I don't understand your vision how Zotero will help you because I do not know your goal.

Let me state what I think you need and tell me if I am correct.

You are a member of a group of academics who have their _own_ publications and no articles published by others will be included.

The group wants these full-text publications to be made available online and indexed in Google Scholar.

Are these articles published in journals and already available online? If so, are these articles in open access journals? Do you need only an index to allow others to find the articles. Do you want to "publish" collections of articles periodically to make them available to a wide audience? Is it your goal to make the articles freely available (open access) of do you intend to sell the academic articles?

Are these in manuscript form and you want the manuscripts made available for comments?

What is your professional discipline? If social sciences, are you aware of the Social Science Research Network?
    http://www.ssrn.com/update/general/ssrn_faq.html

There are similar websites for other professional disciplines.

• Hi, thanks for your answer.

I'm a biologist, and the society is about history.

Up till now, the articles are available as books. Board member could enjoy to put online old references (from 1930) but would prefer that the last issues to be only in book (in order to sell them). They are not scanned yet.

Aim is to make the publications known, at least abstract for recent article, and able to be indexed on scholar google.
  • Honestly, Zotero is not a good way of doing this. Public libraries aren't indexed by google scholar and you can't easily provide the option to download old, scanned issues.. I'd look at an open access repository such as Zenodo.
  • Thanks anyway…

I thought that scholar google was indexing according to the presence of the good metadata…
  • As adamsmith recommends, Zenodo is a good method. Otherwise, you could host your own webpage. It is fairly easy to post PDFs with metadata that google will index.
  • bwiernik: "Otherwise, you could host your own webpage. It is fairly easy to post PDFs with metadata that google will index."

That is actually what I'm asking for…

Is there ready to use engine for that?

-I could make my database quickly with all the articles published since 1930
    -Have a search engine on (with the classical options "authors" "Years" etc…)
    -present a php page to present every paper one by one
  • How many records/documents in your database? Thousands? if so then you might want to look into the several engines that are available to drive open access journals. The server software is open access. For example:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Journal_Systems

Alternately, have a look at my SafetyLit database (SafetyLit.org). I have several times shared large parts of the software that drives the SQL database, the php for getting records to the screen, the search engine and thesaurus, etc. Getting to a generic version that would be adapted to your needs would require a great amount of effort but other groups have done so with success. Alas, there are no public versions online at present other than SafetyLit. The 2 other public database sites lost funding to continue adding records to their database and then stopped paying to keep the sites online.

• Yes, OJS is a good solution if you want to be (relatively) ambitious about this, but you're then running a pretty serious operation with all that entails (server admin, security updates, etc.). If you have the capacity for that, that's great. On the other hand, using someone else's platform gives you less flexibility, but it is entirely hassle-free and pretty much ensures the stuff stays available in the long run.
  • edited April 3, 2017
    For example, you can use Word Press to host a site that has a link to a PDF on each page. You can add appropriate meta tags to make the site discoverable by Google Scholar. The Scholar Publications Wordpress plugin will handle the meta tag generation.

I use this setup for my personal reprint server:
    http://wiernik.workpsy.ch/downloads/age-and-environmental-sustainability-a-meta-analysis

But, definitely, using a platform like Zenodo will be easier and ensure that the items stay available long term. You could always host the articles on your own site as well as deposit them with Zenodo (to get a DOI and them indexed by Google Scholar) and include the DOI on your own page.
  • I started with OJS 2 weeks ago… I was not satisfied … can't understand how it works