[5.0 Beta] WebDAV stops after ~1000 files

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero 5.0 Beta.
  • edited February 23, 2017
    Hi, I have been using the beta version for few weeks and it works really well (installed on many Mac and PC machines). So far, the only issue I face is the sync with webdav. Its stops after ~ 1000 files and I have to restart zotero so that the sync continues. I cannot say if it is specific to zotero 5 since I did not use webdav before. Unless it is a known issue, I would be happy to try to replicate it with zotero 4 if needed.
  • @mannow1 Start a new thread with that issue and give a Debug ID (https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output) for a failed sync.
    @bwiernik I cannot send the debug report (error occured), but can paste the output somewhere.
    EDIT: Just saw the limitation issue for debug report. I will apply the changes and send the report.
    EDIT2: Nope, does not want to be sent... Can send a copy of the report anywhere you want.
  • do start the new thread, zip debug output and send to support@zot...o.org with a link to said new thread.
  • Moved to a new thread. @mannow1, you can continue here.
  • Thanks, I just sent an email.
  • Its stops after ~ 1000 files and I have to restart zotero so that the sync continues.
    What do you mean by that? It doesn't just fail with an error, letting you click the Sync button again?

You say in your email that Verify Server is failing. If that's the case, you'll have to resolve that. The cert_override method should definitely work on Linux — there's nothing platform-specific about that.

But I'm also not sure what error you're getting from Verify Server, since thousands of requests are going through successfully before the failure. That suggests just an intermittent failure. Zotero could do a better job of retrying that (it does for Zotero File Syncing, since S3 requests can easily fail), but you should also just be able to click Sync again.
    @dstillman i have 3 machines:
    -From my Mac in which I have the local files, Verify server is successful and I can upload with WebDAV on the server but need to relaunch zotero every 1000 files (roughly)
    EDIT: no error here, just the sync arrow running for ever while I can see from the network monitoring that nothing happens.

-From a PC with windows 7, verify server is successful, but I cannot download the files that are on the server. Sync with the library is ok.
    EDIT: no error here, zotero seems happy with the sync but no files from WebDAV are downloaded.

-From a PC with Linux, I have the SSL error but I might not have installed in a clean way zotero. Sync with the library is ok
  • Was the debug output you emailed the end of the output? There was nothing more after that?
  • (And I believe the second computer won't download any uploaded files until the first sync finishes, so that's expected.)
  • The zip file is the complete output from the Mac (upload to the server).
    The few lines are output from the PC (download from the server).
    I will focus on the Mac then, i.e. I will reset again and redo the upload with a debug output for each relaunch.

Best
  • No, don't reset — just click Sync again.

• @dstillman, I had to reset, but you were right it appears that somehow the sync from the Mac to the server was not and could not complete. It finally did after the reset and the files are downloaded now from the server to the PC. However I got the same issue as the first time with the upload stopping after roughly 1000 files. Still now error but the arrow running for ever and no network activity on both my server and my Mac. I relaunch zotero and it works fine for an other batch of 1000 files.

So if anything needs to be improved, it would be to have a warning message saying that nothing can be imported because of an incomplete sync elsewhere, but it seems really tricky to do that, doesn't it?

So, back to the initial problem (see the zip file if interested) ! But it works somehow and this issue is specific to the very first upload of a very large library.

Thanks for all the hard work, I have been using zotero for now 8 years and I am happy as a clam (and trying to "sell" it to everyone around)
  • edited February 24, 2017
    The request is legitimately being interrupted — from something on your computer, your network, or the server itself — but the biggest issue is that you're not getting a proper sync error in Zotero. If you were, you could just click the sync icon again and it would continue. I've created a ticket to look into that. (Ideally Zotero would also retry after a failed connection.)