making categories in bibliography

how do I seperate the categories of books and articles in my bibliography
  • It is controlled by the style you are using. What's yours?
  • you'll want to be more specific. There are dozens of "Harvard" styles in Zotero. Which one would you like to use?
  • I m using Chicago manual of style 16th edition (note)
  • how do I seperate the categories of books and articles in my bibliography?
    Thanks
  • There isn't direct support for classified bibliographies, but you can customize a style to group items of one or more types together in the bibliography, and then insert headers by hand at the last stage of production. The style Canadian Guide to Uniform Legal Citation does that, and can be used as an example.
  • Did that work, and can someone help me with it. I have to seperate Primary and secondary sources. In my bibliografy, also using CMS 16th fullnote
  • You'll have to replicate in CMOSwhat you see in the style mentioned by fbennet.

See lines 606 in that style and the "sort-by-type" that is mentioned there.

https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
  • hey thanks, ill find someone who knows a bit more about code to help me with it. But do you have any idea if its possible to do this on the basis of tags ?
  • not possible, no. CSL does not have a tag variable.
  • edited March 23, 2022
    I would love to have such a feature too.

Some style has a trick. May it works for you too. If you open the "Theologie und Philosophie (Deutsch)" style. You can see an email address. He can help you.

It works like in this way. In Zotero in the Extra field write "annote:A" All with this will come before the other bibliography in alphabetical order. With "annote:B" etc. you can distinguish it more.

But you have to search in the biblio then to put your header in the biblio you wish. This you have to do by hand. Unfortunately this is not available in Zotero. I wish it would be automatic.

It seems the sort-by-type differs from the one I mentioned above. The above you can use for any type.
    The sorts on the type of the document.

It's not perfect, but better than nothing.