How to import ris files into EndNote if Zotero is installed?

Hi,

I have folks ask me about basics of using both Zotero and EndNote, so I need to have both installed. My problem is that Zotero grabs RIS files when I try to import them into EndNote.

In Zotero for Firefox, I see a general preference that I can uncheck to "Use Zotero for downloaded Bibtex/RIS/Refer files." Unfortunately I don't see the same preference in Zotero standalone...maybe I'm missing it?

I have tried this import in Internet Explorer, with Firefox and Chrome closed, but still the browser tries to put the refererences into Zotero Standalone instead of EndNote X7.

Any suggestions? I'd much rather not de-install Zotero standalone since I need to have all of these versions handy, but that's my next thing to try.

Thanks!
Lea
  • Could you describe exactly what's happening? I'm a bit surprised that your _browser_ would auto-import RIS into Zotero, since Zotero doesn't do anything in IE.

What is the case is that Zotero Standalone associates itself as the default software to open known bibliographic data formats. E.g. on Windows see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18539/windows-7-change-default-programs, which also has instructions on how to change that.
  • Good reference, thanks! I'll read up on that.

Quick list of what happens -
    1. I select references in an Ebsco database or a ProQuest database
    2. Use the commands in the db to open the records (normally this brings up the EndNote Web helper or whatever it's called now)
    3. I get a message (I think from Zotero?) asking "do you want to import file.." and if I hit OK, then Zotero Standalone launches itself

I wanted to thank you for your quick reply! I'll have a look at the link that you sent and see if I can fix this.

Thanks!
    Lea