Error: the 'Citation Style' field is completely empty

When I want to add a citation in a new document, the 'Document preferences' window opens but the 'Citation Style' field is completely empty. This also happens when I want to add a citation in an existing document in which I have already chosen the document preferences. Restarting Zotero and MS Word and even my desktop itself doesn't solve the problem. My Zotero is up-to-date and the Microsoft Word add-in has been installed. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?
  • What version of Zotero are you using?
  • Dear bwiernik, I'm using version 4.0.29.16
  • In the Zotero Preferences, under the Export tab, does the drop-down list for "Default Output Format" (under the header "Quick Copy") work correctly? It should look like this: http://i.imgur.com/Y36t18Z.png.
  • Dear Rintze, when I open this tab, I see that no "Default Output Format" has been selected. I can choose from the list, but I have no idea what this is about and what I should choose.
  • reset your citation styles from the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences.
    You will need to re-add any citation styles you installed.
  • That dropdown menu is populated in a very similar way to the "Citation Style" list in the Document Preferences, so I was curious whether they were both broken.

If you're not using any CSL styles you customized yourself, you could try to reset all styles. Again via the preferences ("Advanced" tab, "Files and Folders" tab, "Reset Styles..." button).
  • Dear Rintze and Adam, I have done as you suggested and the problem is solved. Thanks a lot for your help!
  • (@dstillman, do you have any idea what could cause this problem? It seems relatively common)
  • (@Rintze: No, I don't, but hopefully can address in 5.0 along with #1153.)