maintaining the order of the collections when inserting the bibliography

I work with different genres of documents - bibles, ancient texts, monographs, commentaries.... In Zotero, for each genre I created a collection and each document I add to Zotero, I place it in it's collection. What I do so that when I insert the bibliography in the thesis I may get the following arrangement?

Ancient Texts
(all ancient texts here in alphabetical order)

Bibles
(all bibles here in alphabetical order)

Commentaries
(all commentaries here in alphabetical order)

Monographs
(all monographs here in alphabetical order)
  • You can't really, sorry. There might be a really hack-y solution building a custom style and relying on something you put in the extra field, but beyond that the only thing I can think of is to cite the first three categories in the text manually (since Zotero doesn't really handle Ancient texts and presumably bibles well, you may have to do that anyway) and then just create those bibliographies from within Zotero (i.e. right-click on the collection --> Create bibliography) and paste them into the document, relying on automated citations just for secondary literature (monographs, chapter, articles).
  • Thanks a lot Adamsmith.
  • @adamsmith Do you think category based bibliography will come to Zotero5.x?
  • I don't know. It's not one of the top priorities (nor should it be imo), but "5.x" can also mean a lot of things. Zotero was on 4.x for close to four years. It's certainly still something I think would be worthwhile and it would also seem to be of interest to historians, who are in a way Zotero's original constituency.
  • Thanks. This feature isn't something required in my field (engineering), except may be when writing a book.